History of BMC

Highlights

BU

  • First institution in the world to formally educate female physicians.
  • The first medical school in the United States to award an M.D. degree to an African-American woman

BMC

  • The first municipal hospital established in the United States.
  • First Radiology Department in the United States
  • Development of the nation’s first academically affiliated Home Medical Service.
  • One of the few research institutions of its kind when its activities began in 1912 linking research with clinical care
  • Home of the Framingham Heart Study
  • Alumnus Marcia Angell, former editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of Medicine – the only woman to hold the position in the job in 200 year history

 

BU

1848

    • Originally known as the  American Medical Education Society,  with the intent to promote medical education of women. 

Name changed to New England Female Medical College reflecting mission to specifically educate women and renamed Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) in 1873

    • first institution in the world to formally educate female physicians.
    • New England Female Medical College
      Other name NEFMC
      Active 1848–1874 (merged into Boston University School of Medicine)
      Founder Samuel Gregory
      Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States

1849

  • Donation to build a Free hospital
    • “the hospital was suggested … by Elisha Goodnow, who, by his will, dated July 12, 1849, gave property to the city valued at $25,000, for establishment of a free city hospital in Wards Eleven or Twelve.”

1850

  • Massachusetts Legislature officially incorporates the Society
  • Classes of the society were offered under the name Female Medical Education Society
    • Mission   
      • create a medical school in Boston exclusively for women,
      • with its own teaching hospital,
      • to teach midwifery and nursing
      • with the intent treat women and children.

1852

  • School was called the New England Female Medical College
  • established in the home of Boylston Medical School President Dr. Winslow Lewis
  • “provided women with a socially sanctioned position in a feminized occupation”. 

BMC

1855

Boston University Medical Center Hospital (BUMCH) founded as the Massachusetts Homeopathic Hospital.

1864

  • Boston City Hospital (BCH) opened in 1864   Dedication of a City Hospital PDF
  • intended for the use and comfort of poor patients, to whom medical care will be provided at the expense of the city, and … to provide accommodations and medical treatment to others, who do not wish to be regarded as dependent on public charity.”

 

 

  • The first medical school in the United States to award an M.D. degree to an African-American woman
  • The first municipal hospital established in the United States.

In his address in the dedication of the City  Hospital in 1864, Thomas C Amory included the following content

Boston City a  Charitable City

Charity of Boston

Caring for

The Young, Old, Psychologically , or Psychiatrically Impaired

The Young, Old, Psychologically , or Psychiatrically Impaired

For All Sects Colors and Nationalities

For All Sects Colors and Nationalities

For the Homeless

For the Homeless

Women and the Care of the Sick – Nursing

Women and the Care of the Sick – Nursing

 

Education

Education

 

Research

Research

Boston Pride

Boston Pride

1873

Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) established when the University assumed responsibility for the New England Female Medical College.

Historic distinctions

    • commitment to equal education for women and men
    • development of the nation’s first academically affiliated Home Medical Service.

1905

BostonCityHospital_ca1905_ReliefStation
  • Hospital consisted of
    • Hospital proper,
    • South Department,
    • Ambulance station, boiler and dynamo house, coal-pocket and wharf,
    • Convalescent home

1910

  • Endowed research
    • Evans Memorial Department of Clinical Research was established by a series of gifts by Mrs. Maria Antoinette Evans to endow a research department of medicine at the Hospital.
    • stipulation that research,
      • clinical care, and teaching should be intimately interrelated
    • one of the few research institutions of its kind when its activities began in 1912

1923

  • Thorndike Memorial Laboratory was established with support provided by Dr. George L. Thorndike in memory of his brother, William, a long-time BCH staff member.
  • The Thorndike became one of the nation’s most distinguished research facilities under the aegis of the BCH Harvard Medical Services.

1968

  • Finland Laboratory for Infectious Diseases was established at BCH in honor of Dr. Maxwell Finland, a leading clinical investigator in infectious diseases.

1973

  • Academic and clinical responsibility for BCH passed to Boston University

1996

  • BUMCH and BCH were merged into the Boston Medical Center, a not-for-profit institution that fully retains the missions and commitments of its predecessor institutions.

The Boston Veterans Administration Medical Center was the first Dean’s Committee VA hospital, i.e., the first specifically designated as a teaching hospital. It is a major training site for students and residents. In addition, its faculty conduct a varied research program, including active, basic, clinical, and health services research efforts.