Michael H. Ieong, M.D.
Faculty and Fellows
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Director, Pulmonary Function Lab
Medical School: University of Illinois
Internship: University of Maryland
Residency: University of Maryland
Fellowship: Boston University
- HIV pathogenesis in the lung
- Redox cell signaling pathways
- Alveolar macrophage biology
- Innate immunity of the lung
- HIV-related lung disease
- General pulmonary medicine
- Exercise physiology
Dr. Ieong is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine. He attends in the Medical Intensive Care Unit and on the Pulmonary Consult service of Boston Medical Center. He sees patients in the Pulmonary and Allergy outpatient clinic and oversees the cardiopulmonary exercise testing program.
Dr. Ieong is a NIH-funded Principal Investigator whose research interests focus on the role of the alveolar macrophage and monocyte in host immunity and HIV-related lung pathogenesis. Projects in the lab study the redox regulation of HIV expression in alveolar macrophages; the role of IL-16 in HIV-infection of alveolar macrophages; and, HIV-induced impairment of alveolar macrophage handling of C. neoformans. He is an experienced research bronchoscopist and collaborates with a number of investigators to provide primary lung cells and lavage for study. He is a member of the Pulmonary Immunology Group and the Center for HIV/AIDS Care and Research.
- Ieong MH, Farber HW. Non-infectious Pulmonary Complications of HIV-infection. (In press)
- Summer R, Zacks J, Ieong MH, O’Regan A. Cough, fever and weight loss in a young male. Eur Respir J 2002; 19: 1210-1213.
- Ieong MH, Reardon CC, Levitz SM, Kornfeld H. HIV-1 Infection of Alveolar Macrophages Impairs their Innate Fungicidal Activity. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2000; 162 (3 Pt 1): 966-70.
- Klings ES, Hill NS, Ieong MH, Simms RW, Korn JH, Farber HW. Systemic Sclerosis-Associated Pulmonary Hypertension: Short- and Long-Term Effects of Epoprostenol (Prostacyclin). Arthritis and Rheumatism 1999; 42 (12):2638-2645.
- Center for HIV/AIDS Care and Research
- Pulmonary Immunology Group
- Basic Science/Translational Research related to HIV/TB
Dr. Ieong sees clinic patients in the Doctor’s Office Building, Ste. 402, 720 Harrison St., Boston, MA 02118. For an appointment call 617-638-7480.