Anthony Griffiths, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Microbiology
620 Albany Street
Office: NEIDL 503; 617-358-2900
Labs: NEIDL 513O, 513H, 513N, 513P
B.S. University of Reading
Ph.D. Queens’ College, University of Cambridge
The family Filoviridae includes Ebola virus and Marburg virus, which are associated with sporadic outbreaks and high case fatality rates. A maximum containment laboratory (Biosafety Level-4) is required to study the infectious forms of these viruses. Dr. Griffiths’ laboratory is interested in multiple aspects of filovirus biology with a view to exploiting this knowledge to further the development of vaccines and therapeutics.
We have basic science projects that investigate viral pathogenesis, evolution, gene expression, model development, transmission, and persistence. We also work toward the advanced development of vaccines and therapeutics, which includes regulated studies in maximum containment that will facilitate licensure by the FDA.
- Alfson KJ, Avena LE, Worwa G, Carrion R, Griffiths A. 2017. Development of a Lethal Intranasal Exposure Model of Ebola Virus in the Cynomolgus Macaque. Viruses. 9(11). pii: E319. PMID: 29109373; PMCID: PMC5707526.
- Alfson KJ, Worwa G, Carrion R Jr, Griffiths A. 2015. Determination and Therapeutic Exploitation of Ebola Virus Spontaneous Mutation Frequency. J Virol. 90(5):2345-55. PMID: 26676781; PMCID: PMC4810732.
- Alfson KJ, Avena LE, Beadles MW, Staples H, Nunneley JW, Ticer A, Dick EJ Jr, Owston MA, Reed C, Patterson JL, Carrion R Jr, Griffiths A. 2015. Particle-to-PFU ratio of Ebola virus influences disease course and survival in cynomolgus macaques. J Virol. 89(13):6773-81. PMID: 25903348; PMCID: PMC4468478.
- Amen MA, Griffiths A. 2011. Identification and expression analysis of herpes B virus-encoded small RNAs. J Virol. 85(14):7296-311. PMID: 21543500; PMCID: PMC3126578.
- Alfson KJ, Avena LE, Beadles MW, Menzie H, Patterson JL, Carrion R Jr, Griffiths A.. 2015. Genetic Changes at the Glycoprotein Editing Site Associated With Serial Passage of Sudan Virus. J Infect Dis. 212 Suppl 2:S295-304. PMID: 25920319.
- Alfson K, Avena L, Delgado, Beadles, Patterson J, et al. Genotypic and Phenotypic Effects of Vero E6 Cell Culture Passages on Marburg virus. mSphere. 2017
To see additional publications by investigator, click on any article and enter last name and initials in Query box.