Anna Honko, Ph.D.
Anna Honko, PhD
Research Associate Professor, Microbiology
Associate Director, Nonclinical Studies Unit
620 Albany Street
Office: NEIDL 401S; 617-358-9284
BS Clemson University
PhD (Microbiology/Immunology) Wake Forest University School of Medicine
My research supports programs related to evaluation of potential therapeutics and vaccines for viral threats in biocontainment, such as production and standardization of viral stocks, animal model characterization for hemorrhagic fever viral diseases, and assay development while working in a regulated environment. Research by the Nonclinical Studies Unit is intended to facilitate licensure of products by the FDA through the GLP or Animal Rule studies conducted in maximum containment. My particular focus is the usage of implantable radiotelemetry for the collection of continuous, real-time physiologic data to better characterize animal models of high consequence pathogens.
I’ve spent more than fifteen years working in biocontainment, first in Biosafety Level-3 (Yersinia pestis, Rift Valley Fever Virus, Monkeypox virus) as well as Biosafety Level-4 (Lassa Virus, Junín, Machupo, Ebola Virus, Marburg Virus, Sudan Virus, Nipah Virus). Our team is now heavily vested in working on the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, supporting efforts to understand the pathogenesis of COVID-19 disease and test prospective vaccine and therapeutic treatments.
- Honko AN, Johnson JC, Marchand JS, Huzella L, Adams RD, Oberlander N, Torzewski LM, Bennett RS, Hensley LE, Jahrling PB, Olinger GG. 2017. High dose sertraline monotherapy fails to protect rhesus macaques from lethal challenge with Ebola virus Makona. Sci. Reports 7(1):5886. PMID: 28725019
- Johnston, SC, Briese T, Bell TM, Pratt WD, Shamblin JD, Esham HL, Donnelly GC, Johnson JC, Hensley LE, Lipkin WI, Honko AN. 2015. Detailed Analysis of the African Green Monkey Model of Nipah Disease. PLoS One 10(2):e0117817. PMID: 25706617
- Warren TK, Trefry JC, Marko ST, Chance TB, Wells JB, Pratt WD, Johnson JC, Mucker EM, Norris SL, Chappell M, Dye JM, Honko AN. 2014. Euthanasia assessment in Ebola virus infected nonhuman primates. Viruses 6(11):4666-82. PMID: 25421892
- Stanley DA, Honko AN, Asiedu C, Trefry JC, Lau-Kilby AW, Johnson JC, Hensley L, Ammendola V, Abbate A, Grazioli F, Foulds KE, Cheng C, Wang L, Donaldson MM, Colloca S, Folgori A, Roederer M, Nabel GJ, Mascola J, Nicosia A, Cortese R, Koup RA, Sullivan NJ. 2014. Chimpanzee adenovirus vaccine generates acute and durable protective immunity against ebolavirus challenge. Nat. Med. 20(10):1126-9. PMID: 25194571
- Twenhafel NA, Mattix ME, Johnson JC, Robinson CG, Pratt WD, Cashman KA, Wahl-Jensen V, Terry C, Olinger GG, Hensley LE, Honko AN. 2013. Pathology of experimental aerosol Zaire ebolavirus infection in rhesus macaques. Vet. Pathol. 50(3):514-29. PMID: 23262834
To see additional publications by investigator, click on any article and enter last name and initials in Query box.