From the Department of Medicine:
Clinician Scholar/Educator: This track includes physicians or other health care professionals involved in clinical and educational activities, and scholarly activities that result in communication of knowledge relating to clinical practice and teaching through conventional peer reviewed publications, review articles, curriculum development, and electronic media. Scholarship in relation to teaching includes the development of new courses or curricula, course syllabi, lectures, videos, and other teaching materials.
Scholarship in relation to clinical practice applications includes reports of organizational innovations and practice improvement, patient education materials and clinical reviews, and/or integration of clinical information through book chapters, editorials, oral presentations, and clinical reports. Another avenue of clinical scholarship involves advocacy to improve the health care system at the city, regional or national level.
- How to Document Your Educational Scholarship
- Sample CVs of clinician educator (BU community only)
- Sample evaluation form for presentations
- Beasley BW, Wright SM, Cofrancesco J Jr., Babbott SF, Thomas PA, Bass EB. 1997. Promotion criteria for clinician-educators in the United States and Canada. A survey of promotion committee chairpersons. JAMA Sep 3;278(9):723-8.
- Bligh, John MA, MD; Brice, Julie. 2009. Further Insights Into the Roles of the Medical Educator: The Importance of Scholarly Management. Acad Med Aug; 84(8):1161-1165
- Kuhn GJ. 2004. Faculty development: The Educator’s Portfolio: Its Preparation, Uses, and Value in Academic Medicine. Acad Emer Med. Mar;11(3):307-11.
- McGaghie, WC. 2009. Scholarship, Publication, and Career Advancement in Health Professions Education. Med Teacher; 31(7):574 – 590.
- Morahan PS et al. 2008. The double helix of activity and scholarship: building a medical education career with limited resources. Med Educ; 42(1), 34-44.
- Sheretz E. 2000. Criteria of the “Educators’ Pyramid” Fulfilled by Medical School Faculty Promoted on a Teaching Pathway. Acad Med. 75(9):954-956.
- Simpson, Deborah PhD; Hafler, Janet EdD; Brown, Diane; Wilkerson, LuAnn EdD. 2004. Documentation Systems for Educators Seeking Academic Promotion in U.S. Medical Schools. Acad Med. 79(8):783-790.