Excellence in Educational Scholarship Mentoring
The Department of Medicine Excellence in Educational Scholarship Mentoring Award was established in 2018. It is intended to acknowledge the value of mentoring trainees, junior faculty and peers in technical, scholarly, and other intangible aspects required for a productive career as a clinician educator. The nominee should
- Have developed a supportive environment for teaching and educational scholarship.
- Have demonstrated a commitment to mentorship and established a track record for successful mentorship.
- Have provided instruction on skills for education such as curricular design, teaching methods, learning, program assessment, and scholarly dissemination.
- Be a successful advocate and guide in administrative, organizational, and professional matters for clinician educators.
- Demonstrate personal concern for his/her mentees and supports their personal and professional development.
- Value teaching in their medical specialty.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and professionalism.
- Place an equal or greater emphasis on the professional development of others.
Any member of the Department; resident, fellow or faculty can nominate faculty for this award. The only requirement is that the nominee must have been on staff for at least five years. Submit a nomination letter here.
The Awards Committee will contact nominees and ask them to comment on their mentoring approach and identify 3 additional persons who know their contribution to mentorship. At least two of these should be former or current mentees. The committee will solicit letters of support from 3 colleagues identified by the nominee as well as the nominee’s section chief.
Past awardees (not eligible for nomination):
2018: Shoumita Dasgupta, PhD