Socially Responsible Surgery
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Tracey Dechert, firstname.lastname@example.org
Resident Leaders: Maunil Bhatt, Maunil.Bhatt@bmc.org, Megan Janeway, Megan.Janeway@bmc.org, Ryan Macht, Ryan.Macht@bmc.org, Thiago Oliveira, Thiago.Oliveira@bmc.org Tyler Robinson, Tyler.Robinson@bmc.org, Feroze Sidhwa, Feroze.Sidhwa@bmc.org
Student Leaders: Mike Gustin, (email@example.com) Avital Mintz-Morgenthau, (firstname.lastname@example.org) Rachel Rivero, (email@example.com) Teresa Qi, (firstname.lastname@example.org) Denise Garofalo, (email@example.com) Michelle DenAdel, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Introduce future generations of surgeons to concepts of disparities in surgical care and provide surgeons with the tools to advocate for their patients and communities.
- Incorporate advocacy training into resident and medical student curricula
- Participate in educational activities throughout the BUSM community across specialties
- Partake in educational opportunities nationally and internationally
- Engage in research methods to better understand disparities in surgical care and access and design appropriate interventions to address these inequalities
- Design and implement studies focused on the understanding of access to surgical care in our communities.
- Identify deficiencies in existing databases and improve upon them by engaging with other local academic institutions.
- Apply concepts derived from local research to identify principles that can be applied worldwide to understand disparities.
- Strengthen the ability of surgeons to engage in political and social platforms to improve care of surgical patients. Encourage the allocation of resources towards addressing surgical inequalities.
- Advocate for patients on a personal level within the doctor-patient relationship
- Engage in meaningful dialogue within our institution and between other institutions.
- Encourage participation in the formulation and evolution of healthcare policies that address access to surgical care.
- Expand our services to patients beyond providing surgical care and create a positive change within their sociocultural context and within their communities beyond the walls of our hospital.
- Design and implement interventions to address inequalities in the health of our surgical patients.
- Build multidisciplinary teams to address inequalities driven by community priorities and interests.
- Serve our communities in meaningful ways that extend beyond surgical care.