GMS Graduates: Make a Difference in People’s Lives

COM GMS 2016 CommencementA sea of red robes filled Metcalf Hall in BU’s George Sherman Union on Friday, May 13, as  Associate Provost for Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS) Linda Hyman, PhD, presided over commencement exercises where 199 master’s degree candidates received their diplomas.  “Graduates, you have the knowledge and skills to tackle challenges. Remember that you cannot do this alone; you have your friends, family, teachers, mentors, and community to help you and be there for you.”

In what has become a tradition, Hyman shared a Latin phrase with the graduating class. “Here’s a little Latin phrase admittedly influenced by my year in Washington, ‘e pluribus unom’  — ‘out of many – one.’  When you surround yourself with a powerful team, great things happen! Congratulations and good luck to the class of 2016!”

Three student speakers provided perspective on their GMS experience and their hopes for their classmates.

Receiving her master’s in Genetic Counseling, Lauren M. Hogan, shared her thoughts, “Thank you for keeping me smiling through the most challenging times in graduate school and always offering your support and enthusiasm. I am thrilled to call you my colleagues.  A heartfelt thank you our BU Genetic Counseling faculty members; you have been inspiring examples of what it means to be thoughtful medical providers, supportive supervisors, and brilliant educators. “

Peitao Zhu, a candidate for Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling and Behavioral Medicine, shared his hopes for the graduating class. “Everyone who’s sitting here has a shared journey.  We also share the desire to make a difference in people’s lives, whether it’s through counseling, researching, or education.  After today we will continue to challenge ourselves to be better people.”

Sung Jun Soo who earned a master’s in Medical Sciences said,“Let us not consider this an end, but a beginning to what life has for us.  I am beyond proud and blessed to call you my colleagues … I am excited to see how each and every one of you will start transforming the world.”

See more in the Facebook album.