My research: Social determinants of health—voice therapy

Audrey Tran (Class of 2025)
Audrey Tran (Class of 2025)

This summer (2022),  I’ve been working primarily on a retrospective chart review evaluating the impact of social determinants of health on attendance at virtual voice therapy. Concurrently, I am drafting a manuscript for another project I began earlier in the year investigating cultural perceptions of flexible nasolaryngoscopy examinations, and also collecting data for a new project comparing the efficacy of voice therapy for English versus non-English speakers. Finally, I am conducting a bibliometric review of Otolaryngology literature to assess for gender disparities in academic productivity in the field during the COVID-19 pandemic. Altogether, my research experiences during medical school have taught me so much about the specialty I’m interested in. I have gained invaluable exposure to the breadth and depth of the field, and met incredible mentors along the way. More generally, I have enhanced many of my research skills, including but not limited to crafting project proposals, collecting and analyzing clinical data, and conveying scientific ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.

Read more about the research opportunities for medical students.