Research is considered part of the training of future physician-scientists. The Research year program is for BU Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine medical students interested in an intensive research experience working with Chobanian & Avedisian School of Medicine faculty mentors. The research between years 2-3 or 3-4. Students can also participate in a year of research with non-BU faculty through a separate process.
• Students engaging in full time research with BU faculty will remain BU students and will receive a scholarship to pay for tuition to cover the research course (MED MS900).
• Students engaged in research with non-BU faculty can participate in a research year by taking a leave of absence.
• Both pathways require completing the Student Evaluation & Promotion Petition: SEPC
• Students should also contact Student Financial Services to discuss any changes or plans related to participating in a research year.
If you are considering taking a research year for next year, please contact Matthew Layne, PhD, Assistant Dean for Research to discuss.
APPLICATIONS FOR 2023-2024 are now closed
2023 Due dates:
- Applications for current M2 students are due April 21st
- Applications for current M3 students are due May 12th.
Project information needed:
- Purpose of research (~3 sentences)
- Hypothesis or research question (1 sentence)
- Methods, data collection, statistical analysis.
- Anticipated results.
- We will also ask for mentor information information including grant support, other individuals that will participate in your training, and a statement committing to mentoring you.