Laboratory of Dr. Andrey Sharov
Principal Investigator: Andrey Sharov, PhD
Dr. Sharov is a recipient of the Mentored Research Scientist Development Award from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases/NIH. Dr. Sharov is studying molecular mechanisms of skin development, with particular emphasis on the regulation and maintenance of adult stem cells in the skin. His research focuses on dissecting the signal transduction pathways which regulate stem cell quiescence to better understand how alterations in these signaling pathways contribute to melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers. In addition, Dr. Sharov studies a role of higher-order chromatin organization in the process of pigmentation funded by NIH/NIAMS.
1. Sharova TY, Poterlowicz K, Botchkareva NV, Kondratiev NA, Aziz A, Spiegel JH, Botchkarev VA, Sharov AA. Complex changes in the apoptotic and cell differentiation programs during initiation of the hair follicle response to chemotherapy. J Invest Dermatol, 2014 (accepted for publication).
2. Lewis CJ, Mardaryev AN, Poterlowicz K, Sharova TY, Aziz A, Sharpe DT, Botchkareva NV, Sharov AA. Bone morphogenetic protein signaling suppresses wound-induced skin repair by inhibiting keratinocyte proliferation and migration. J Invest Dermatol, 2014 134:827-37. PMID: 24126843; PMCID: PMC3945401
3. Mardaryev AN, Gdula MR, Yarker JL, Emelianov VN, Poterlowicz K, Sharov AA, Sharova TY, Scarpa JA, Chambon P, Botchkarev VA, Fessing MY. p63 and Brg1 control developmentally regulated higher-order chromatin remodelling at the epidermal differentiation complex locus in epidermal progenitor cells. Development, 2014; 141:101-11 PMID: 24346698.
4. Gdula MR, Poterlowicz K, Mardaryev AN, Sharov AA, Peng Y, Fessing MY, Botchkarev VA. Remodeling of three-dimensional organization of the nucleus during terminal keratinocyte differentiation in the epidermis. J Invest Dermatol, 2013;133:2191-201 PMID:23407401
5. Paus R, Haslam IS, Sharov AA, Botchkarev VA. Pathobiology of chemotherapy-induced hair loss. Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14:e50-9
6. Botchkarev VA, Gdula MR, Mardaryev AN, Sharov AA, Fessing MY. Epigenetic regulation of gene expression in keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol, 2012;132:2505-21
7. Fessing MY, Mardaryev AN, Gdula MR, Sharov AA, Sharova TY, Rapisarda V, Gordon KB, Smorodchenko AD, Poterlowicz K, Ferone G, Kohwi Y, Missero C, Kohwi-Shigematsu T, Botchkarev VA. p63 regulates Satb1 to control tissue-specific chromatin remodeling during development of the epidermis. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:825-39. PMID: 21930775