I am a bioinformatician/biostatistician with training in mathematics, machine learning, genetics, and digital medicine. Our lab is mainly focused on the development and application of computational tools to study complex diseases.
1. Identification of genetic causes of complex diseases. We have been involved in multiple large-scale genetic consortiums, such as the Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology (CHARGE) Consortium, Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) program, and Alzheimer’s Disease Sequencing Project (ADSP). These studies have identified hundreds of genetic loci associated with atrial fibrillation, heart failure, hypertension, and Alzheimer’s disease.
2. Integration of multi-omics data to understand disease molecular mechanisms. Complex diseases are usually caused by the interplay of genetic and environmental factors. We have identified numerous molecular signatures from gene expression, protein expression, and DNA methylation that are related to aging and cardiovascular disease. We are also developing computational methods to integrate different molecular signatures and build gene interaction networks to study potential disease regulation networks.
3. Development of machine learning models for early disease diagnosis. We have built multiple machine learning models to predict dementia risk from midlife risk factors and neuropsychological tests. In combination with neuroimaging and blood-based measures, we are also developing multimodal machine learning methods to identify new biomarkers that are predictive of future cognitive impairment.
4. Exploration of digital and wearable devices for health monitoring. We have deployed thousands of wearable devices and mobile apps to monitor cardiovascular health and cognitive health. We are integrating active engagement with passive engagement technologies from the habitual environment to make sustained monitoring feasible. Novel analytic strategies are also being developed to analyze big unstructured data to identify potential digital biomarkers that are predictive of future health outcomes.
- Member, BU-BMC Cancer Center, Boston University
- Investigator, Framingham Heart Study
- Member, Evans Center for Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research, Boston University
- National University of Singapore (NUS), PhD
- Peking University, BA
- Peking University, BS
- Published on 7/14/2023
Wang X, Pathiravasan CH, Zhang Y, Trinquart L, Borrelli B, Spartano NL, Lin H, Nowak C, Kheterpal V, Benjamin EJ, McManus DD, Murabito JM, Liu C. Association of Depressive Symptom Trajectory With Physical Activity Collected by mHealth Devices in the Electronic Framingham Heart Study: Cohort Study. JMIR Ment Health. 2023 Jul 14; 10:e44529. PMID: 37450333.
- Published on 7/4/2023
Soni A, Herbert C, Lin H, Yan Y, Pretz C, Stamegna P, Wang B, Orwig T, Wright C, Tarrant S, Behar S, Suvarna T, Schrader S, Harman E, Nowak C, Kheterpal V, Rao LV, Cashman L, Orvek E, Ayturk D, Gibson L, Zai A, Wong S, Lazar P, Wang Z, Filippaios A, Barton B, Achenbach CJ, Murphy RL, Robinson ML, Manabe YC, Pandey S, Colubri A, O'Connor L, Lemon SC, Fahey N, Luzuriaga KL, Hafer N, Roth K, Lowe T, Stenzel T, Heetderks W, Broach J, McManus DD. Performance of Rapid Antigen Tests to Detect Symptomatic and Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection : A Prospective Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med. 2023 Jul; 176(7):975-982. PMID: 37399548.
- Published on 6/29/2023
Brant LCC, Ribeiro AH, Pinto-Filho MM, Kornej J, Preis SR, Fetterman JL, Eromosele OB, Magnani JW, Murabito JM, Larson MG, Benjamin EJ, Ribeiro ALP, Lin H. Association Between Electrocardiographic Age and Cardiovascular Events in Community Settings: The Framingham Heart Study. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2023 Jul; 16(7):e009821. PMID: 37381910.
- Published on 4/24/2023
Zhang C, Miao X, Wang B, Thomas RJ, Ribeiro AH, Brant LCC, Ribeiro ALP, Lin H. Association of lifestyle with deep learning predicted electrocardiographic age. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2023; 10:1160091. PMID: 37168659.
- Published on 4/17/2023
Frederiksen TC, Dahm CC, Preis SR, Lin H, Trinquart L, Benjamin EJ, Kornej J. The bidirectional association between atrial fibrillation and myocardial infarction. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2023 Sep; 20(9):631-644. PMID: 37069297.
- Published on 4/8/2023
Lin H, Kwan AC, Castro-Diehl C, Short MI, Xanthakis V, Yola IM, Salto G, Mitchell GF, Larson MG, Vasan RS, Cheng S. Sex-specific differences in the genetic and environmental effects on cardiac phenotypic variation assessed by echocardiography. Sci Rep. 2023 Apr 08; 13(1):5786. PMID: 37031215.
- Published on 3/6/2023
Shapira-Daniels A, Kornej J, Spartano NL, Wang X, Zhang Y, Pathiravasan CH, Liu C, Trinquart L, Borrelli B, McManus DD, Murabito JM, Benjamin EJ, Lin H. Step Count, Self-reported Physical Activity, and Predicted 5-Year Risk of Atrial Fibrillation: Cross-sectional Analysis. J Med Internet Res. 2023 Mar 06; 25:e43123. PMID: 36877540.
- Published on 2/24/2023
Herbert C, Wang B, Lin H, Hafer N, Pretz C, Stamegna P, Tarrant S, Hartin P, Ferranto J, Behar S, Wright C, Orwig T, Suvarna T, Harman E, Schrader S, Nowak C, Kheterpal V, Orvek E, Wong S, Zai A, Barton B, Gerber B, Lemon SC, Filippaios A, D'Amore K, Gibson L, Greene S, Howard-Wilson S, Colubri A, Achenbach C, Murphy R, Heetderks W, Manabe YC, O'Connor L, Fahey N, Luzuriaga K, Broach J, McManus DD, Soni A. Performance of Rapid Antigen Tests Based on Symptom Onset and Close Contact Exposure: A secondary analysis from the Test Us At Home prospective cohort study. medRxiv. 2023 Feb 24. PMID: 36865199.
- Published on 2/22/2023
Charisis S, Lin H, Ray R, Joehanes R, Beiser AS, Levy D, Seshadri S, Sargurupremraj M, Satizabal CL. Obesity impacts the expression of Alzheimer's disease-related genes: The Framingham Heart Study. Alzheimers Dement. 2023 Aug; 19(8):3496-3505. PMID: 36811231.
- Published on 2/8/2023
Schnabel RB, Marinelli EA, Arbelo E, Boriani G, Boveda S, Buckley CM, Camm AJ, Casadei B, Chua W, Dagres N, de Melis M, Desteghe L, Diederichsen SZ, Duncker D, Eckardt L, Eisert C, Engler D, Fabritz L, Freedman B, Gillet L, Goette A, Guasch E, Svendsen JH, Hatem SN, Haeusler KG, Healey JS, Heidbuchel H, Hindricks G, Hobbs FDR, Hübner T, Kotecha D, Krekler M, Leclercq C, Lewalter T, Lin H, Linz D, Lip GYH, Løchen ML, Lucassen W, Malaczynska-Rajpold K, Massberg S, Merino JL, Meyer R, Mont L, Myers MC, Neubeck L, Niiranen T, Oeff M, Oldgren J, Potpara TS, Psaroudakis G, Pürerfellner H, Ravens U, Rienstra M, Rivard L, Scherr D, Schotten U, Shah D, Sinner MF, Smolnik R, Steinbeck G, Steven D, Svennberg E, Thomas D, True Hills M, van Gelder IC, Vardar B, Palà E, Wakili R, Wegscheider K, Wieloch M, Willems S, Witt H, Ziegler A, Daniel Zink M, Kirchhof P. Early diagnosis and better rhythm management to improve outcomes in patients with atrial fibrillation: the 8th AFNET/EHRA consensus conference. Europace. 2023 Feb 08; 25(1):6-27. PMID: 35894842.
View 183 more publications: View full profile at BUMC