Medical Student Wellness
Are you in immediate need of support?
- Student Affairs Office Hours
- Dean on Duty
- In the case of an emergency, medical students can page the dean on duty by calling (617) 638-5795 and sending a page to #4196 or sending a text page to pager #4196 through the pager directory.
- Student Health Services – Behavioral Medicine On-Call Line (24/7)
- SHS Emergency Resources
Overview of Medical Student Wellness
In line with the AAMC’s Statement on Commitment to Clinician Well-Being and Resilience, BUSM strives for a culture that values student well-being and prioritizes resiliency as a developmental goal. While medical school can be a time of great stress and adjustment, it is also a time to promote effective habits and behaviors that you will carry with you into your residency and medical career.
We believe that physician wellness and resilience begins early in medical training, and that it touches upon various facets of your life. Student Affairs frames student well-being across the following six dimensions (or “spokes” of the Well-being Wheel on the right) and connects students to relevant resources so they can harness tools for balance, compassion, and continued growth:
Being aware of your own feelings and coping with the challenges life brings.
- Behavioral Medicine at Student Health Services
- Marsh Chapel– Speak with a Chaplain
- Advising Network – Contact your AME to discuss options
- The Wellbeing Project
- College Mental Health Education Program
- BMC Wellness Program- Workplace Wellness and Family/Personal Wellness
- BUSM Quiet Room – space dedicated for prayer, meditation, etc. (A-401)
- Student Affairs Deans Office Hours* subject to change.
- Check out the weekly Digest in your email for the most up-to-date schedule.
- Dean on Duty
- In the case of an emergency after hours and on weekends, medical students should page the dean on duty by calling (617) 638-5795 and sending a page to #4196 or sending a text page to pager #4196 through the pager directory.
Building a network of support, including advisors, mentors, peers, friends, and family, and relating to one another with respect for yourself and others.
- SCOMSA and Student Organization Events
- Keep an eye on the Student Activities Calendar for upcoming events
- Student-led Peer Advising Program & Wellness Initiative
- Walk & Talks with Dean Jackson
- The Weekly Digest highlights activities and opportunities related to wellness each week
- To subscribe, email Chioma Mbonu
Engaging in the medical school curriculum as well as other scholastic, cultural, and community activities.
- Academic Enhancement Office
- Medical Education Office & Curricular Committees
- Annual Career Fair & Annual Career Expo
- Appropriate Treatment in Medicine (ATM) & Office of the Ombuds
- Student Activities
Keeping physically healthy, eating properly, exercising, maintaining sleep hygiene.
Understanding and feeling in control of your financial situation.
- BUMC Student Financial Services
- Virtual Drop-Ins, Walk-Ins, & scheduled planning meetings
Establishing core values and ethics that guide your life and choices.
- Engage in Student Activities
- Free entry to Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, ICA, and Boston Symphony Orchestra through BU Arts Initiative
- BMC Wellness Program- Diversity practices and resources
- Spaces for Prayer and Meditation
- The Newbury Center for First-Generation Students