I have been working on oxidative stress and redox signaling in Vascular Biology Section in Boston University School of Medicine. My current and previous projects are as follows.
– Glutaredoxin and ischemic limb vascularization. In recent years my focus is the roles of glutaredoxin-1 (Glrx) in cardiovascular disease. Glrx regulates cellular signaling and transcription by reversing protein-glutathione adducts. This relatively unexplored enzyme and its targets and function have just emerged as a significant redox signaling mechanism. We identified Glrx as an anti-angiogenic molecule which may suppress hypoxia inducible factor (HIF)-1a activation. We aim to to develop therapeutic strategy to improve poor ischemic limb vascularization in diabetes and aged individuals.
– Tumor angiogenesis: we found mouse melanoma implants growth does not correlate with endothelial angiogenesis in endothelial-specific Glrx transgenic mice. We are developing a new area of Glrx and tumor angiogenesis.
– We also explore Glrx role in liver fibrosis with my collaborators. Glrx-deficient mice develop fatty liver and diet-induced liver fibrosis. Glrx inhibits angiogenesis as well as fibrotic process. Our collaborative paper shows Glrx attenuates lung fibrosis. We aim to examine the Glrx effects on liver fibrosis models.
– In the past, I worked on vascular complications in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency. G6PD is a key enzyme of the pentose phosphate pathway which contributes to NADPH generation. G6PD deficiency is the most prevalent enzymopathy in humans, and was thought to worsen cardiovascular disease due to oxidative stress and hemolytic anemia. However, we found that angiotensin II –induced cardiovascular hypertrophy was attenuated in G6PD-deficient mice. There are many enzymes that depend on NADPH including the oxidant source, NADPH oxidase, and enzymes in the cholesterol synthesis pathway. We also demonstrated higher blood pressure, less atherosclerosis, lower oxidants and plasma cholesterol in G6PD-deficient mice with apoE-/- background. These studies are actually consistent with clinical reports on G6PD-deficient people, and confirmed a contribution of NADPH oxidase to vascular hypertrophy and atherosclerosis.
Overall, based on my broad clinical experiences in internal medicine, I would like to develop my research to bring benefit to patients.
- Assistant Professor, Vascular Biology, Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
- Member, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University
- Kanazawa University, MD
- Published on 3/5/2020
Watanabe Y, Watanabe K, Fujioka D, Nakamura K, Nakamura T, Uematsu M, Bachschmid MM, Matsui R, Kugiyama K. Protein S-glutathionylation stimulate adipogenesis by stabilizing C/EBPß in 3T3L1 cells. FASEB J. 2020 Apr; 34(4):5827-5837. PMID: 32141127.
- Published on 2/14/2020
Matsui R, Hamburg NM. Eating Chocolate to Improve Muscle Health and Walking Ability in Patients With Peripheral Artery Disease. Circ Res. 2020 Feb 28; 126(5):600-602. PMID: 32078440.
- Published on 1/23/2020
Matsui R, Ferran B, Oh A, Croteau D, Shao D, Han J, Pimentel DR, Bachschmid MM. Redox Regulation via Glutaredoxin-1 and Protein S-Glutathionylation. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2020 04 01; 32(10):677-700. PMID: 31813265.
- Published on 10/26/2019
Yura Y, Chong BSH, Johnson RD, Watanabe Y, Tsukahara Y, Ferran B, Murdoch CE, Behring JB, McComb ME, Costello CE, Janssen-Heininger YMW, Cohen RA, Bachschmid MM, Matsui R. Endothelial cell-specific redox gene modulation inhibits angiogenesis but promotes B16F0 tumor growth in mice. FASEB J. 2019 12; 33(12):14147-14158. PMID: 31647879.
- Published on 9/19/2019
Kimura T, Ferran B, Tsukahara Y, Shang Q, Desai S, Fedoce A, Pimentel DR, Luptak I, Adachi T, Ido Y, Matsui R, Bachschmid MM. Production of adeno-associated virus vectors for in vitro and in vivo applications. Sci Rep. 2019 09 19; 9(1):13601. PMID: 31537820.
- Published on 3/5/2019
Shao D, Yao C, Kim MH, Fry J, Cohen RA, Costello CE, Matsui R, Seta F, McComb ME, Bachschmid MM. Improved mass spectrometry-based activity assay reveals oxidative and metabolic stress as sirtuin-1 regulators. Redox Biol. 2019 04; 22:101150. PMID: 30877853.
- Published on 1/25/2019
Weinberg EO, Ferran B, Tsukahara Y, Hatch MMS, Han J, Murdoch CE, Matsui R. IL-33 induction and signaling are controlled by glutaredoxin-1 in mouse macrophages. PLoS One. 2019; 14(1):e0210827. PMID: 30682073.
- Published on 7/9/2018
Anathy V, Lahue KG, Chapman DG, Chia SB, Casey DT, Aboushousha R, van der Velden JLJ, Elko E, Hoffman SM, McMillan DH, Jones JT, Nolin JD, Abdalla S, Schneider R, Seward DJ, Roberson EC, Liptak MD, Cousins ME, Butnor KJ, Taatjes DJ, Budd RC, Irvin CG, Ho YS, Hakem R, Brown KK, Matsui R, Bachschmid MM, Gomez JL, Kaminski N, van der Vliet A, Janssen-Heininger YMW. Reducing protein oxidation reverses lung fibrosis. Nat Med. 2018 08; 24(8):1128-1135. PMID: 29988126.
- Published on 5/18/2017
Egea J, Fabregat I, Frapart YM, Ghezzi P, Görlach A, Kietzmann T, Kubaichuk K, Knaus UG, Lopez MG, Olaso-Gonzalez G, Petry A, Schulz R, Vina J, Winyard P, Abbas K, Ademowo OS, Afonso CB, Andreadou I, Antelmann H, Antunes F, Aslan M, Bachschmid MM, Barbosa RM, Belousov V, Berndt C, Bernlohr D, Bertrán E, Bindoli A, Bottari SP, Brito PM, Carrara G, Casas AI, Chatzi A, Chondrogianni N, Conrad M, Cooke MS, Costa JG, Cuadrado A, My-Chan Dang P, De Smet B, Debelec-Butuner B, Dias IHK, Dunn JD, Edson AJ, El Assar M, El-Benna J, Ferdinandy P, Fernandes AS, Fladmark KE, Förstermann U, Giniatullin R, Giricz Z, Görbe A, Griffiths H, Hampl V, Hanf A, Herget J, Hernansanz-Agustín P, Hillion M, Huang J, Ilikay S, Jansen-Dürr P, Jaquet V, Joles JA, Kalyanaraman B, Kaminskyy D, Karbaschi M, Kleanthous M, Klotz LO, Korac B, Korkmaz KS, Koziel R, Kracun D, Krause KH, Kren V, Krieg T, Laranjinha J, Lazou A, Li H, Martínez-Ruiz A, Matsui R, McBean GJ, Meredith SP, Messens J, Miguel V, Mikhed Y, Milisav I, Milkovic L, Miranda-Vizuete A, Mojovic M, Monsalve M, Mouthuy PA, Mulvey J, Münzel T, Muzykantov V, Nguyen ITN, Oelze M, Oliveira NG, Palmeira CM, Papaevgeniou N, Pavicevic A, Pedre B, Peyrot F, Phylactides M, Pircalabioru GG, Pitt AR, Poulsen HE, Prieto I, Rigobello MP, Robledinos-Antón N, Rodríguez-Mañas L, Rolo AP, Rousset F, Ruskovska T, Saraiva N, Sasson S, Schröder K, Semen K, Seredenina T, Shakirzyanova A, Smith GL, Soldati T, Sousa BC, Spickett CM, Stancic A, Stasia MJ, Steinbrenner H, Stepanic V, Steven S, Tokatlidis K, Tuncay E, Turan B, Ursini F, Vacek J, Vajnerova O, Valentová K, Van Breusegem F, Varisli L, Veal EA, Yalçin AS, Yelisyeyeva O, Žarkovic N, Zatloukalová M, Zielonka J, Touyz RM, Papapetropoulos A, Grune T, Lamas S, Schmidt HHHW, Di Lisa F, Daiber A. European contribution to the study of ROS: A summary of the findings and prospects for the future from the COST action BM1203 (EU-ROS). Redox Biol. 2017 10; 13:94-162. PMID: 28577489.
- Published on 5/4/2017
Matsui R, Watanabe Y, Murdoch CE. Redox regulation of ischemic limb neovascularization - What we have learned from animal studies. Redox Biol. 2017 Aug; 12:1011-1019. PMID: 28505880.
View 21 more publications: View full profile at BUMC