2019 Emerging Leaders Program a Success

.
The 2019 Emerging Leaders Program convened in October to further develop the leadership skills of promising Medical Campus – faculty at the ranks of Assistant or Associate Professor.

More than 40 faculty members from the Schools of Medicine, Public Health and Dental Medicine attended the two-day workshop held on the Fenway Campus. Hosted by the BU Institute for Health System Innovation & Policy (IHSIP), the program introduced selected rising faculty to strategic health sector concepts and principles important to leading and managing in the rapidly changing health care environment.

“Every health care organization needs to invest in the development of its emerging leaders,” explained program moderator and IHSIP Director Jonathan Woodson, MD. “We must ensure they have the right competencies to help navigate the organization through the challenging and accelerating pace of change in healthcare.

Hee-Young Park, PhD, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs at BUSM, is an advocate for the program: “The Emerging Leaders Program has been offered to Medical Campus faculty since 2007 to develop leadership skills and to meet and collaborate across disciplines in SPH, SDM and BUSM. Many past participants now hold leadership positions, including department chair, program director, and assistant or associate deans.”

Sessions were taught by Questrom’s Health Management MBA program faculty and covered topics including negotiating skills, leadership styles and financial decision making. Attendees also participated in other classes, including:

• Leadership Self-Awareness & Team Leadership Qualities
  • Leading in Turbulent Times – Forces Shaping Health and Health Care
  • Leadership Philosophy
  • Tools for Operation Management
  • Effective Teamwork – Driving Changes
  • Bringing It All Together – Leadership in Action

“The Emerging Leaders Program provided an opportunity to network with colleagues I would not normally interact with. The small groups supported our diversity of backgrounds and the presenters were engaging and obviously experts in their field,” said Priya Garg, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Dean of Medical Education at BUSM.

Associate Professor of Psychiatry Laurie Craigen, PhD, said, “Prior to the Emerging Leaders Program I never truly defined myself as a ‘leader.’ I left this program with a renewed mindset and a new definition of myself. The program is both empowering and affirming. I am grateful to the speakers for sharing their knowledge and expertise with us – I am already applying what I learned in my work as a faculty member and clinician.”

This program was sponsored by BUMC’s Office of the Provost.