Deborah J. Anderson, Ph.D.
Professor of Obstetrics/Gynecology and Microbiology
670 Albany Street, Suite 516
B.A. Rice University
Ph.D. University of Texas-GSBS
My research program addresses immunologic aspects of human reproductive health, and has contributed to advances in understanding immunological mechanisms underlying male and female infertility, recurrent miscarriage, preeclampsia, gynecologic oncology and the sexual and vertical transmission of HIV-1. Our current research is focused on the development of vaccines and topical microbicides for the control of sexually-transmitted pathogens including HIV-1. Towards this end, we are studying mechanisms of cell-associated HIV transmission and fundamental features of local immune defense functions at genital mucosal surfaces that affect HIV-1 pathogenesis and transmission.
- Panther, LA, Tucker, L, Xu, C, Tuomala, RE, Mullins, JI, and Anderson, DJ. 2000. Genital tract Human Immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) shedding and HIV env diversity in perinatal HIV-1 transmission. J. Infect. Dis. 181:555-563.
- Fichorova R, Tucker L, Anderson DJ. 2001. The molecular basis of Nonoxynol-9-induced vaginal inflammation and its possible relevance to Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 transmission. J Inf. Dis 184:418-28.
- Fichorova R, Cronin AO, Lien E, Anderson DJ, Ingalls RR. 2002. Response to Neisseria gonorrhoeae by cervicovaginal epithelial cells occurs in the absence of toll-like receptor 4-mediated signaling. J. Immunol. 168:2424-2437.
- Tuomala RE, O’Driscoll PT, Bremer JW, Anderson DJ. 2003. Cell-associated genital tract virus and vertical transmission of HIV-1 in antiretroviral-experienced women. J Inf Dis 187:375-84.
- Wang XC, Anderson DJ., Yunis EJ, Hill JA 2002. T helper 1-type immunity to trophoblast antigens in women with a history of recurrent pregnancy loss is associated with polymorphism of the IL1B promoter region. Genes and Immunity 3:38-42.
- Pudney J, Quayle A and Anderson DJ. 2005. Immunological microenvironments in the human vagina and cervix: mediators of cellular immunity are concentrated in the cervical transformation zone. Biol. Reprod. 73:1253-63.
- Xu C, Politch JA, Mayer KH, Anderson DJ. 2005. Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 episomal cDNA in semen. AIDS Res Ther 2:9.
- Ayehunie S, Cannon C, Lamore S, Kubilus J, Anderson D, Pudney J, Klausner M. 2006. Organotypic human vaginal-ectocervical tissue model for irritation studies of spermicides, microbicides and feminine-care products. Toxicology in Vitro 20:689-98.
- Cone RA, Hoen T, Wong X, Abusuwwa R, Anderson DJ, Moench TR. 2006. Vaginal microbicides: detecting toxicities in vivo that paradoxically increase pathogen transmission. BMC Infectious Diseases, 6:90.
- Wang ZC, Hill JA, Yunis EJ, Xiao L, Anderson DJ. 2006. Maternal CD46H*2 and IL1B-511*1 homozygosity in T helper 1-type immunity to trophoblast antigens in recurrent pregnancy loss. Human Reproduction 21: 818-22.
- Politch JA, Tucker L, Bowman FP, Anderson DJ. 2007. Concentrations and significance of cytokines and other immunologic factors in semen of healthy fertile men. Human Reproduction 22:2928-35.
- Anderson DJ, Politch JA, Pudney J. 2011. HIV infection and immune defense of the penis. AJRI 65:220-229.
- Blaskewicz C, Pudney J, Anderson DJ 2011. Structure and function of intercellular junctions in the human cervical and vaginal mucosal epithelia. Biol. Reprod. 85:97-104.
- Abdel-Motal UM, Sarkis PT, Han T, Pudney J, Anderson DJ, Marasco WA. 2011. Anti-gp 120 minibody gene transfer to female genital epithelial cells protects agains HIV-1 virus challenge in vitro. PLoS One 6(10):e26473.
- Anderson DJ, Pudney J. Mucosal Immunology of the human male genital tract and experimental models. In: Mucosal Immunology, 3rd Edition, J Mestecky, M Lamm, W Strober, J Bienenstock, JR McGhee, L Mayer, eds. Elsevier Acad Press, pub. 2005; pp 1647-1660.
- Anderson DJ. Immunology in the Era of HIV/AIDS. In: The AIDS Pandemic. K. Mayer and H. Pizer, eds Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, CA. 2005; pp 36-57.
- Anderson DJ. HIV and AIDS. Our Bodies Ourselves. Simon and Schuster, pub. 2005; pp 291-306.
- Anderson DJ. Genitourinary Immune Defense. In: Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 4th edition. KK Holmes et al., eds; McGraw Hill Publ. 2008; pp 271-288
To see additional publications by investigator, click on any article and enter last name and initials in Query box.