BUSM Education, Advising & Mentoring in STEM (BEAMS)
To recruit, develop, and retain underrepresented (URM) youth* from Boston and other areas of Massachusetts in post-secondary STEMM (science, technology, engineering, math, and medicine) education in an ongoing effort to diversify the healthcare work force.
*racially, ethnically, and linguistically diverse youth
- Provide career exploration and mentoring in STEMM and healthcare professions for URM students (high-school, undergraduate, and post-graduate).
- Increase the number of URM students entering college and choosing STEMM majors.
- Increase the number of URM individuals in STEMM and healthcare work force.
WHO WE ARE
BEAMS is a pipeline program created by the Department of MSE with three inter-related student levels: high-school level, undergraduate level, and post-graduate level. Between 2017 and 2020, we partnered with the Boston Area Health Education Center (BAHEC). In 2021, BEAMS enlarged its scope and is now reaching out to all BPS students in order to provide career exploration and mentoring for all high-school students attending Boston Public Schools in grades 9 through 12. BEAMS provides programming by collaboration with faculty and students from School of Medicine (BUSM) and Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS). BEAMS also provides programming by collaboration with students in the BU Kilachand Honors College. In addition, BEAMS has partnered with the Pre-Health Programs at BU College of Arts & Sciences and the College Access & Student Success Officeat BU Wheelock College of Education & Human Development, in our efforts to create bridges between high-school students and undergraduate students as well as bridges between undergraduate students and post-graduate students.
WHAT WE DO
NEW High-School Programming: BOSTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- Through BEAMS, we are offering BUSM-MedSci Program (MSP), virtual programming with innovative sessions that are focused on medicine and basics science research with the aim of sparking interest among high-school students in health-care careers. This program will be open to any student currently enrolled in any BPS high school. Instructors for all sessions will be medical students and graduate students, and there will be opportunity for longitudinal mentoring.
- For more information about the upcoming program in SUMMER 2022 and to apply click here for MedSci Program (MSP).
Previous High-School Programming: BAHEC
- Boston Area Health Education Center (BAHEC), BAHEC, is part of the Massachusetts Area Health Education Center (MassAHEC) Network, whose mission is to address health care disparities with a focus on workforce development. Through the Division of Child and Adolescent Health at the Boston Public Health Commission, BAHEC serves as a program for under-represented minority youth in Boston that provides knowledge and awareness about health-related careers in an effort to increase the number of youth from underserved populations who successfully pursue careers in health-related fields. Through BEAMS, we provided career exploration and mentoring for high-school students enrolled in BAHEC by means of innovative educational programs with the aim of sparking interest among high-school students in health-care careers during summer sessions and during the academic school year.
Introduction to Research Introduction to Physical Exam Exposure to Clinical Careers Global Health
Introduction to Research
Introduction to Physical Exam
Exposure to Clinical Careers
Undergraduate Programming: CRC
Post-Graduate Programming: BUMC