Biospecimen Archive Research Core (BARC)
BARC is an IRB-approved, fee-for-service archive of biospecimens operated by the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Our mission is to collect high quality samples of normal and diseased human material with appropriate clinical annotation and make these biospecimens available to qualified researchers. All subjects have given consent for these biospecimens to be used in broad applications of research, while the BARC is charged with protecting privacy and confidentiality of all participants.
All biospecimens collected from medical procedures at Boston Medical Center (BMC) have been procured from patients under rigorous quality management, processed and stored using NCI Best Practices.
- Separate IRB no longer required to get de-identified archived samples
- Tissue samples are frozen and/or blocked in paraffin, with many having matching plasma samples
- Can work with investigators to get prospective samples if retrospective samples will not work
- Investigators must read BARC Material Use, Data Sharing and Publication Acknowledgment Agreement prior to requesting samples
- Fill out the BARC Access Survey for access to our services.
- BARC Oversight Committee will review and approve application to ensure feasiblity
- Cost recovery fee
- BU/BMC $40 per aliquot
- Outside BU/BMC 80$ per aliquot
- Contact us with questions, help planning a project, or requests for letters of support for funding applications.
- Histological services provided through Experimental Pathology Service Core (EX+)
DISEASE AND TISSUE TYPES REPRESENTED:
Please contact BARC@bmc.org for current inventory