Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- Castle Graduation Celebration 2013
- Congratulations Graduating Resident, Dr. Josenia Tan who won the very first Robert Foley, MBA, Award. This honor will be given annually to a resident or fellow who “demonstrates the qualities that Mr. Foley brought to work every day.” This being the inaugural year of the prize Mr. Foley’s family was invited to the Castle Graduation Dinner.
- Congratulations on passing the Qualifying Exams!
- Jessica Allen
- Mostafa Belghasem
- Melody Lun
- Caitlin Miller
- Jacquelyn Sikora
- Jason Sutin
- Thank you to all faculty members who assisted with the qualifying exams, with a SPECIAL Thank You Dr. Barbara Slack and the Qualifying Exam Committee
- The Scientific Steering Committee of the XXIVth International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH in Amsterdam, Netherlands; June 29-July 4) has determined that the abstract from the Kurosawa Lab “is likely to have an immediate and important impact on the practice of clinical medicine” and will be included in the ISTH publication with MD Conference Express which is a peer-reviewed meeting highlights report. This late-breaking abstract presented by Dr. Shinichiro Kurosawa is entitled: “Complement is not activated in nonhuman primates during development of hemolytic uremic syndrome and thrombotic microangiopathy induced by E.coli Shiga toxins” by authors B.C. Lee, C.L. Mayer, C.S. Leibowitz, D.J. Stearns-Kurosawa, S. Kurosawa.
- Dr. Ivana Delalle gave a platform presentation “Deregulation of Exosomal and Cellular microRNA in Bipolar Disorder,” American Association of Neuropathologists Meeting; Charleston, South Carolina on June 22, 2013
- Dominic Beal , PhD, successfully defended his thesis “Role of Macrophages in Cockroach Allergen Induced Asthma” on Tuesday, June 18th
- The Hematology Lab (Renee Nutting, Daoreuang Pongvongkeo, and John Lee) has validated lupus anticoagulant testing on the in-house automated coagulation platform. All lupus anticoagulant testing from now on will be performed in-house.
- Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes was the guest lecturer of the “Dr. Manuel Felipe Pimentel Imbert Lecture” at her alma mater Universidad Nacional Pedro Henriquez Ureña School of Medicine on June 18th 2013 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The title of her lecture was “Pediatric Pathology Clinical and Surgical Management”.
- Nick Woolf, MD/PhD student in Nader Rahimi’s laboratory has been awarded a full fellowship from the Center for Nanoscience and Nanobiotechnology, Boston University for his project entitled “The Role of IGPR-1 in Tumor Growth and Progression”
- Zachary Hunter, PhD candidate was an invited speaker at the 2013 International Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia Foundation Educational Forum; “The Genomic Landscape of WM” May 17-19, San Diego, California
- Zach Hunter also gave an oral presentation “Recurring Activating Mutations and Somatic Deletions Revealed Through Whole Genome Sequencing in WALDENSTRÖM’S MACROGLOBULINEMIA” at the12th International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma June 19-22, Lugano, Switzerland http://www.lymphcon.ch/
- Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes gave a lecture on “Pediatric Pathology: Clinical-Pathologic Cases” at Robert Reid Cabral Children’s Hospital, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic on June 25th 2013
- Liling Zeng, Ming Bai, Amit K. Mittal, Wassim El-Jouni, Jing Zhou, David M. Cohen, Mina I. Zhou, Herbert T. Cohen: Candidate tumor suppressor and pVHL partner Jade-1 binds and inhibits AKT in renal-cell carcinoma. Cancer Research 2013 (in press)
- Srimathi Srinivasan, Rosana D Meyer, Ricardo Lugo, Nader Rahimi. Identification of PDCL3 as a novel chaperone protein involved in the generation of functional VEGFR-2. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Nicholas J. DeNunzio & Lija Joseph & Roxane Handal & Ankit Agarwal & Divya Ahuja & Ariel E. Hirsch. Devising the Optimal Preclinical Oncology Curriculum for Undergraduate Medical Students in the United States. J Canc Educ (2013) 28:228–236 DOI 10.1007/s13187-012-0442-0
- Vipul Chitalia, Sowmya Shivanna, Jordi Martorell, Rosana Meyer, Elazer Edelman, and Nader Rahimi. c-Cbl, a ubiquitin E3 ligase that targets active β-catenin – A novel layer of Wnt regulation Journal of Biol. Chem. jbc.M113.473801. First Published on June 6, 2013, doi:10.1074/jbc.M113.473801
- Azadzoi KM and Siroky MB. Mechanism of lower urinary tract symptoms in pelvic ischemia. J Biochem & Pharmacol Res: 1: 64-74, 2013, 2013
- Treon, S. P., & Hunter, Z. R. (2013). A new era for Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia: MYD88 L265P. Blood, 121(22), 4434–4436. doi:10.1182/blood-2013-04-494849