Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Spring 2015 Seminar Series: Friday, February 6,
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- Once again our very own, Dr. Antonio de las Morenas, made Boston Magazine’s “Top Doctors 2012” List. Bravo Dr. de las Morenas!!!
- The Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Blood Bank and Transfusion Service just received formal accreditation by AABB, following our inspection of Nov 8 and 9, 2012. Our quality and operational system were assessed and determined to meet or exceed the rigorous requirements set by the association. Kate Murphy reports that we were recommended for a “commendable practice” for our process of ABO/Rh confirmation of all new to BMC patients.
- PhD Candidate Zachary Hunter presented a poster at the American Society of Hematology on December 9th in Atlanta: “Whole Genome Sequencing Identifies Recurring Somatic Mutations in the C-Terminal Domain of CXCR4, Including a Gain of Function Mutation in Waldenstrom’s Macroglobinemia” Yang Cao, Lian Xu, Xia Liu, Yangsheng Zhou, Guang Yang, Christopher J Patterson, Steven Peter Treon, and Zachary Hunter
- Elizabeth Stanford, a predoctoral candidate in the laboratory of Dr. David Sherr (BU Immunology Training
Program Director and BU Superfund Research Program Deputy Director), was recently honored with a $60,000 Seed-The-Scientist Award from the Art beCAUSE Breast Cancer Foundation. Ms. Stanford’s work on the role of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor and its environmental ligands on breast cancer stem cell development and propagation is based on studies on the AhR supported by the Superfund Research Program. The award was made at the annual Art beCAUSE fund-raiser gala, at which Ms. Stanford was the keynote speaker.
- Dr. David Sherr was recently awarded two translational grants. Earlier studies from the Sherr laboratory demonstrated the role of the AhR in controlling normal and malignant cell function. Here, grants from the Mary Kay Foundation and from the Wallace B. Coulter Foundation were awarded to Dr. Sherr’s laboratory to translate these studies into clinical practice by developing AhR modulators capable of blocking AhR-dependent triple negative breast cancer cell growth and metastasis.
- Dr. David Sherr was recently interviewed by Susan Warnick of the Boston TV station WCVB on his work evaluating the effects of environmental chemicals on the development and progression of breast cancer. Click Here for video.
- Iskander, Kendra; Craciun, Florin; Stepien, David; Duffy, Elizabeth; Kim, Jiyoun; Moitra, Rituparna; Vaickus, Louis; Osuchowski, Marcin; Remick, Daniel. Cecal Ligation and Puncture-Induced Murine Sepsis Does Not Cause Lung Injury. Critical Care Medicine
- Stearns-Kurosawa DJ, Oh S-Y, Cherla RP, Lee M-S, Tesh VL, Papin J, Henderson J, Kurosawa S. Distinct Renal Pathology and a Chemotactic Phenotype after Enterohemorrhagic E.coli Shiga Toxins in Non-human Primate Models of Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. American Journal of Pathology, 2013 in press.
- Flanigon J, Kamali-Moghaddam M, Burbulis I, Annink C, Steffen M, Oeth P, Brent R, van den Boom D, Landegren U, Cantor C. Multiplex Protein Detection with DNA Readout via Mass Spectrometry. N Biotechnol. 2012 Nov 28. pii: S1871-6784(12)00860-6. doi: 10.1016/j.nbt.2012.11.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Treon SP, Xu L, Hunter ZR. MYD88 L265P Somatic Mutation in IgM MGUS. New England Journal of Medicine 2012 Dec 6;367(23):2255-6