“Translational Genomics and Precision Cancer Medicine” Nikhil Wagle, MD Instructor in Medicine Harvard Medical School Dana-Farber...
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- Our own Chris Andry, MPhil, PhD and his colleague in Cancer Care Services, Robyn Souza, RN were recognized by the Otolaryngology Department for their contributions to the Head and Neck Cancer Service at BMC. The award is named after Elaine Ullian, the former CEO of Boston Medical Center.
- Dr. Barbara Slack is very happy to announce this year’s Russek Award recipients in the Department of Pathology:
- First Prize- Jacqueline Bouchard, PhD (Advisor: Daniel Remick)
- Second Prize- Patricia Kao, PhD Candidate (Advisor: Ivana Delalle)
- Honorable Mention- Srimathi Srinivasan, PhD (Advisor: Nader Rahimi)
- Congratulations to the awardees, and thanks to everyone who submitted abstracts for the poster session. This year’s Russek Day took place on May 11th in the Hiebert Lounge (L building, 14th floor) with many faculty and students attending!
- Kurosawa Lab Graduate students Caitlin Leibowitz, PhD Candidate and Chad Mayer, MD/PhD Candidate contributed data to two abstracts accepted at international conferences:
- The 7th Congress of the International Federation of Shock Societies and 35th Annual Conference on Shock, The Shock Society; Miami, Florida, June 9-13, 2012; DJ Stearns-Kurosawa, Chad Mayer, Caitlin Leibowitz, Shinichiro Kurosawa. “EHEC bacterial toxins-1 and-2 are synergistic in non-human primates”
- The 58th Scientific and Standardization Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis; Liverpool, England, United Kingdom, June 27-30, 2012. D. Stearns-Kurosawa, C Leibowitz, C Mayer, S Kurosawa. “Developing Animal Models of Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome”
- The Kurosawa Lab collaboration with Dr. Heather Hardway at BU Department of Mathematics and Statistics resulted in two abstracts accepted at international conferences:
- The 7th Congress of the International Federation of Shock Societies and 35th Annual Conference on Shock, The Shock Society; Miami, Florida, June 9-13, 2012. Heather Hardway, DJ Stearns-Kurosawa, Shinichiro Kurosawa; “Monitoring Host Improvement or Decline Over Time Using Grouped Data Sets”
- The 58th Scientific and Standardization Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis; Liverpool, England, United Kingdom, June 27-30, 2012. H Hardway, D Stearns-Kurosawa, S Kurosawa. “Modeling Physiological and Cytokine Data to Predict Outcome”
- Chad Mayer, MD/PhD Candidate in the Kurosawa Lab received a training grant from the Cardiovascular Institute on the BUSM Campus
- Dr. Susan Winandy served on the Cellular and Molecular Biology-B NIH study section in May
- Alex Gallant, 3rd year medical student going into Pathology has received the American Society for Clinical Pathology Medical Student Achievement Award for Academic Excellence and Achievement in Pathology. There are only 10 medical students in the country who receive this award each year. Included in the award is an Amazon Kindle Fire and the second edition of the Handbook of Clinical Pathology
- Nancy S. Miller, MD presented “Prudent Culture Practice & Challenges: When to give an inch and when to go the mile”, as an invited speaker at the 28th Annual Meeting of the Northeast Association for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease (NACMID), May 21-23, in Boxborough, Massachusetts
- The Cadaver Biopsy Project members presented two posters at the John McCahan Medical Education Day, on May 23 at Boston University. Congratulations to medical students Hillary Johnston Cox, Anna Eisenstein, Lev Vaisman, Alexander Gallan and mentors Dr. Carl O’Hara and Dr. Lija Joseph
- Graduation 2012
- Dr. Lija Joseph has a chapter (Non neoplastic disorders of platelets) that she has authored just published by Wiley in Non-neoplastic hematopathology and infections, . The chapter also acknowledges one of the members of our hematology lab at BMC, Kathy White.
- Kao PF, Banigan MG, Vanderburg CR, McKee AC, Polgar PR, Seshadri S, Delalle I: “Increased Expression of TrkB and Capzb2 Accompanies Preserved Cognitive Status in Early Alzheimer’s Disease Pathology” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology
- Ghosh CC, Mukherjee A, David S, Stearns-Kurosawa D, Kurosawa S, Parikh SM. “Impaired Function of the Tie-2 Receptor Contributes to Vascular Leakage and Lethality in Anthrax” Proc National Academy of Science USA, in press 2012
- Bouchard, J.C, Kim, J., Beal, D.R., Vaickus, L.J., Craciun, F.L. and Remick, D.G. “Acute Oral Ethanol Exposure Triggers Asthma In Cockroach-Allergen Sensitized Mice” in press, American Journal of Pathology