Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- Daniel Remick, MD, has been elected as the Treasurer of the Faculty Practice Foundation of Boston Medical Center
- Dr. Daniel Remick is pleased to report that Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes, co-director of the Dental School pathology course, has been appointed to the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE) National Microbiology-Pathology Test Construction Committee for 2013. This appointment will allow the department of pathology to provide direct input into the formulation of test questions and will ensure that our Dental students receive instruction tailored to their specific needs. As best as we can determine, this is the first time a Boston University pathologist has been appointed to this national body.
- Congratulations to Jacqueline Bouchard, PhD, who successfully defended her thesis “Immunological Mechanisms of Alcohol-Exacerbated Asthma” on Wednesday, April 4th
- Zach Hunter, PhD Candidate presented his work at the Dana-Farber Hematologic Neoplasia & Immunologic Therapies Seminar Series; “Somatic Variants Revealed by Whole Genome Sequencing in Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia” on Wednesday, April 4th
- Zach Hunter, PhD Candidate also presented a poster at the American Society of Clinical Oncology in Chicago on June 4th, and he is its first author; “Use of Whole Genome Sequencing to Identify Highly Recurrent Somatic Mutations in Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia” Zachary R Hunter, Lian Xu, Guang Yang, Yangsheng Zhou, Xia Liu, Yang Cao, Christina Tripsas, Robert J Manning, Christopher J Patterson, Patricia S Sheehy, Steven P. Treon
- Joann Crain, Lab Medicine’s Point of Care Specialist, presented at the CLMA (Clinical Laboratory Management Association) Northeast Region Conference on April 10 in Boxboro MA on “Project Trust- An Overview of a Rapid HIV Testing Program”
- Parul Agnihotri, PhD Candidate in the Winandy Lab will present an abstract entitled “Role of Ikaros in Foxo1-driven Gene Expression in CD4 T Cells” at the International Graduate Student Immunology Conference 2012 at Harvard University on April 27-28 2012
- A poster by Resident Manisha Mehta, MD has been nominated for the “Member-in-training’ Award (MIT Award ) at the ARVO Conference (Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology) on May 8th, 2012 at Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Poster details: “PDCL3 Regulates Endothelial Cell Proliferation And Angiogenesis Through The Generation Of Functional VEGFR-2;” Manisha Mehta, Srimathi Srinivasan, Rosana D Meyer, Ricardo Lugo, Vipul Chitalia, Nora Laver, Nader Rahimi
- April 30-May 4 is Lab Week; Happy First Anniversary in your new location Lab Medicine!!!
- Fengxiu Ouyang, Margaret Parker, Sandra Cerda, Colleen Pearson, Lingling Fu, Matthew W. Gillman, Barry Zuckerman and Xiaobin Wang; “Placental Weight Mediates the Effects of Prenatal Factors on Fetal Growth: the Extent Differs by Preterm Status” Obesity April 2012
- Marie E McDonnell, Lisa M Ganley-Leal, Ankeeta Mehta, Sherman J Bigornia, Melanie Mott, Qasim Rehman, Melissa G Farb, Donald T Hess, Lija Joseph, Noyan Gokce, Caroline M Apovian; “B Lymphocytes in Human Subcutaneous Adipose Crown-Like Structures” Obesity (impact factor: 3.37). 03/2012; DOI: 10.1038/oby.2012.54
- Tan JN, Burke PA, Agarwal SK, Mantilla-Rey N, Quillen K; “A Massive Transfusion Protocol Incorporating a Higher FFP/RBC Ratio Is Associated With Decreased Use of Recombinant Activated Factor VII in Trauma Patients.” American Journal of Clinical Pathology 2012 Apr;137(4):566-71. PubMed PMID: 22431532.
- Barbara S. Nikolajczyk, Madhumita Jagannathan-Bogdan and Gerald V. Denis. “The Outliers become a Stampede as Immunometabolism Reaches a Tipping Point” Immunological Reviews 2012
- Nancy S. Miller, Belinda Yen-Lieberman, Melinda D. Poulter, Yi-Wei Tang, and Paul A. Granato; “Comparative Clinical Evaluation of the IsoAmp® HSV Assay with ELVIS® HSV Culture/ID/typing Test System for the Detection of Herpes Simplex Virus in Genital and Oral Lesions” Journal of Clinical Virology
- Josenia N.M. Tan, Martin H. Kroll, Carl J. O’Hara, Peter C. Everett, Evrim Erdogan; “Gamma Heavy Chain Disease in a Patient with Underlying Lymphoplasmacytic Lymphoma of the Thyroid; Report of a Case and Comparison with Other Reported Cases with Thyroid Involvement” Clinica Chimica Acta