“Translational Genomics and Precision Cancer Medicine” Nikhil Wagle, MD Instructor in Medicine Harvard Medical School Dana-Farber...
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- The feature article for the February CR Times, “Taking the Bite Out of the BARC: Getting Specimens from the BUMC Biospecimen Archive Research Core is Easier Than You Think!” is about the BARC this month and was written by Dr. Robert Pistey, BARC Director, Cheryl Spencer, MA, BARC Manager and an IRB senior analyst.
- Dr. Michael O’Brien has a featured article in this week’s New England Journal of Medicine: Ann G. Zauber, Ph.D., Sidney J. Winawer, M.D., Michael J. O’Brien, M.D., M.P.H., Iris Lansdorp-Vogelaar, Ph.D., Marjolein van Ballegooijen, M.D., Ph.D., Benjamin F. Hankey, Sc.D., Weiji Shi, M.S., John H. Bond, M.D., Melvin Schapiro, M.D., Joel F. Panish, M.D., Edward T. Stewart, M.D., and Jerome D. Waye, M.D. Colonoscopic Polypectomy and Long-Term Prevention of Colorectal-Cancer Deaths New England Journal of Medicine 2012; 366:687 – 696 February 23, 2012
- Ben Brugmann, a PhD student in Dr. Susan Winandy’s Lab, was chosen for an oral presentation at the 99th Annual American Association of Immunologists (AAI) Meeting that will take place in Boston in May.
- Dr. Susan Winandy was chosen to chair the “Hematopoietic Stem Cells and Lineage Fate Decisions” workshop session at the AAI Meeting
- This past October Dean Karen Antman asked for anyone who had artistic science images to submit them for a Science Art Competition. David Stepien, MD/PhD candidate and Jacqueline Bouchard, PhD candidate in the Remick Lab submitted some images created from experiments in the lab. The selected winning images were unveiled recently at the medical student research forum; they will be displayed around campus and on the flat screen panels located in the medical school lobby. Attached are David’s 4 images and Jackie’s 2 images that won:
- Tricia Kao, PhD candidate in the Delalle Lab presented a poster at the 40th Annual Meeting of the International Neuropsychological Society in Montreal, Canada, February 15-18, 2012, entitled “Exosomal miRNA profiling in prefrontal cortices of patients diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia”, authored by Meredith G. Banigan, Patricia F. Kao, James Kozubek, Juan Medina, Joan Costa, Andrea Schmitt, Ivana Delalle and Charles R Vanderburg. This work is a result of our laboratory collaboration with Harvard NeuroDiscovery Center (Banigan, Vanderburg), UConn Genetics Dept (Kozubek), and Brain-Net Europe – an international organization of brain tissue depositories (Medina, Costa, Schmitt).
- Resident Dr. Manisha Mehta’s poster got accepted for the “ARVO” (The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology) Conference. This is an international conference to be held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (May 6-10, 2012). Manisha will be presenting her poster on May 8th. Poster details: “PDCL3 Regulates Endothelial Cell Proliferation And Angiogenesis Through The Generation Of Functional VEGFR-2”; Manisha Mehta, Srimathi Srinivasan, Rosana D Meyer, Ricardo Lugo, Vipul Chitalia, Nora Laver, Nader Rahimi.
- Kazem Azadzoi, MD has received a VA Merit Review grant award funded for 4 years to study the role of oxidative stress in bladder overactivity and lower urinary tract symptoms
- McMillin DW, Jacobs HM, Delmore JE, Buon L, Hunter ZR, Monrose V, Yu J, Smith PG, Richardson PG, Anderson KC, Treon SP, Kung AL, Mitsiades CS. Molecular and cellular effects of NEDD8 activating enzyme (NAE) inhibition in myeloma. Molecular Cancer Ther. 2012 Jan 12
- Ojha RP, Hanzis CA, Hunter ZR, Greenland S, Offutt-Powell TN, Manning RJ, Lewicki M, Brodsky PS, Ioakimidis L, Tripsas CK, Patterson CJ, Sheehy P, Singh KP, Treon SP. Family history of non-hematologic cancers among Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia patients: A preliminary study. Cancer Epidemiology. 2011 Nov 16
- Hangun Kim, Yongfeng He, Ilhwan Yang, Yan Zeng, Yonghee Kim, Young-Woo Seo, Mary Jo Murnane, Chaeyong Jung, Jae-Hyuk Lee, Jeong-Joon Min, Dong-Deuk Kwon, Kyung Keun Kim, Qun Lu, Kwonseop Kim. δ-Catenin promotes E-cadherin processing and activates β-catenin-mediated signaling: Implications on human prostate cancer progression. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1822 (2012) 509–521. Interesting to note: Kwonseop Kim was one of Dr. Murnane’s PhD students back in the 1990’s
- Carmen D. Sarita-Reyes, M. Alba Greco, German C. Steiner. Mesenchymal–Epithelial Differentiation of Adamantinoma of Long Bones: An Immunohistochemical and Ultrastructural Study. Ultrastructural Pathology February 2012, Vol. 36, No. 1 , Pages 23-30 (doi:10.3109/01913123.2011.631725)
- Dave Sherr, PhD just had a commentary accepted in Nature Immunology volume 13 number 2 FEBRUARY 2012: