Human Biospecimens for Research - Information
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- Resident Marier Hernández-Pérez, MD had an abstract accepted for poster presentation at the Meeting of the 48th Annual Meeting of The American Society of Dermatopathologists (ASDP) in Seattle, WA in October. Marier Hernández-Pérez, MD; Mohamad El-hajahmad, MHCM; Meera Mahalingam, MD, PhD, FRCPath. “Expression of gelatinases (MMP-2, MMP-9) and gelatinase activator (MMP-14) in actinic keratosis and in in situ and invasive squamous cell carcinoma”
- Our Cytopathology Fellowship has been approved by the ACGME until, September 2015
- Madhu (Jangannathan) Bogdan PhD, successfully defended her thesis “CROSS-TALK BETWEEN ACTIVATED IMMUNE CELLS EXACERBATES INFLAMMATION IN TYPE 2 DIABETES” on October 28th
- Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes presented a perinatology case at the Sociedad Latinoamericana de Patología Pediatrica (SLAPPE) on placental maturation defect on October 9th and 10th in Maceio, Brazil
- Dr. Karen Quillen chaired a session at the AABB Annual Meeting in San Diego 10/23/11 entitled “Preventing hemolytic reactions from platelet transfusions: to screen or not to screen”
- Resident Stephen Hammond, MD:
- Won the Resident Leadership Award from the ASCP Annual Meeting 2011
- Dr. Hammond presented his poster at the American Society of Clinical Pathology National Conference (ASCP) Meeting 2011: “Reducing Patient Waiting Times for Phlebotomy” Stephen Hammond, Janet Means, Jason Lumbrialdt, Martin Kroll.
- Dr. Hammond also won Best Poster Award for poster referred to above at ASCP meeting 2011
|Stephen Hammond, MD (Leadership Award Recipient); Chris Coggbin, MD (Chair Resident Council ASCP); Bruce Alexander MD,(President ASCP) and Lili Lee, MD (Co- Leadership Award Recipient)|
- The Henderson Lab is going (en masse): Fangfang He, MD, Hui Chen, MD, Philip A Bondzie, Julie A. Tomolonis, Mostafa Belghasem, MD Felita Agus, Joseph Coppola and Joel M. Henderson, MD, PhD; to the American Society of Nephrology Annual Meeting at “Kidney Week” in Philadelphia November 8-13 and some of the lab members will be presenting posters as mentioned in the October “New News”
- Also from the Henderson Lab: Julie Tomolonis, a BU Senior in Cell and Molecular Biology, won a UROP FROG Award to support her Senior Honors Thesis work in the Renal Pathology Lab with Dr. Henerdon: “Cytotoxicity of amyloidogenic immunoglobulin light chains on human podocytes in culture”. This project is a collaborative effort with Dr. Lawreen Connors and Dr. David Seldin at the Amyloid Center
- Congratulations to Dr. Lija Joseph, her application to ICPI for matching funds for the Medical Student Interest Group Program has been approved
- At the 2011 ASCP Annual Meeting/WASPaLM XXVI World Congress, October 19-22, Las Vegas, Dr. Martin Kroll gave a roundtable on “Interpreting Patient Results in the Presences of Biological Variation”, and a course on “Diagnostic Accuracy
- Daniel G. Remick, MD was a visiting professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Cincinnati and gave a talk “The Immunopathology of Traumatic Brain Injury”. Dr. Remick was invited by the Vice Chair of Research, Alex Lentsch, Ph.D. to discuss and review their collaborative work to study the immunosuppressive effects of traumatic brain have already been initiated.
- Daniel G. Remick, MD was a visiting professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at Wayne State University and gave a presentation on “Alcohol and Asthma”. Dr. Remick was selected by the graduate students of Wayne State to be the visiting professor.
- Nancy S. Miller, MD was co-convener for the symposium: “Evolving Technologies for Pathogen Detection” at the 46th Annual Region I Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, October 26-27th 2011, Randolph, MA
- Dr. Miller also presented a lecture, “Culture Shock! The Shift to New Technologies for In-Vitro Diagnostics in Clinical Microbiology” at the American Society for MicrobiologyIvana Delalle, MD, PhD just obtained a subaward in NIH RO1 “Epigenetics of Alzheimer’s Disease” grant initiated by Professor Tsai, Director of Picower Institute for Learning and Memory at MIT
- Patricia Kao, 4th year PhD candidate, has an abstract accepted for presentation at the 40th Annual Meeting of the International Neuropsychological Society in Montreal, Canada, February 15-18, 2012. Title: Exosomal miRNA profiling in prefrontal cortices of patients diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Authors: Meredith Banigan, Patricia Kao, James Kozubek, Juan Medina, Joan Costa, Andrea Schmitt, Ivana Delalle, Charles Vanderburg
- Maristela L Onozato1,2, Stephen Hammond3, Mark Merren2, Yukako Yagi; Evaluation of a completely automated tissue-sectioning machine for paraffin blocks; Journal of Clinical Pathology doi:10.1136/jclinpath-2011-200205
- Azadzoi K, Yalla S, Siroky M: “Human bladder smooth muscle cell damage in disturbed oxygen tension” has been published in the November issue of the Urology Journal 78:967-72, 2011
- Azadzoi K, Chen B, Radisavljevic Z, Siroky M: “Molecular reactions and ultrastructural damage in the chronically ischemic bladder” has been published in the November issue of the Journal of Urology 186(5):2115-22, 2011
- Jiyoun Kim, Sudha Natarajan, Louis J. Vaickus, Jacqueline C. Bouchard, Dominic Beal, William W. Cruikshank, and Daniel G Remick; Title “Diesel Exhaust Particulates Exacerbate Asthma-like Inflammation by Increasing CXC ChemokinesManuscript,” has been accepted for publication and currently available online version of the American Journal of Pathology In addition, this article was selected by the editor for further in-depth discussion about our findings in the article in the journal’s “Commentary” section.