“Interplay of Ebola Virus with the Host Defense Machinery” Elke Muhlberger, PhD Associate Professor...
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- Poster Presentations at CAP (College of American Pathology Meeting), September 2011
- “Intrauterine Death in the Second and Third Trimester of Pregnancy Associated With Umbilical Cord Hypercoiling and Hypocoiling” Opoku Adjapong, MD; Sandra Cerda, MD; Carmen Sarita-Reyes, MD
- “Expression Profiles of Cytokeratin and Epithelial Membrane Antigen in the Sarcomatous Element of Müllerian Tumors” (Poster No. 10) Hao Wu, MD, PhD; Carmen Sarita-Reyes, MD; Sandra Cerda, MD
- Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes will be presenting “Placental Listeriosis and Acute Chorioamnionitis” accepted for the 2011 Society of Pediatric Pathology Fall Meeting Perinatal Slide Seminar to be presented in Milwaukee, WI on September 30th 2011
- Tiffany Mellott, PhD has received a grant from the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative (SFARI) for her research entitled; “Perinatal choline supplementation: a therapeutic approach to autism.” To date, the Simons Foundation¹s single largest initiative has been in autism research. The SFARI program seeks to improve the diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorders by funding, catalyzing, and driving innovative research of the greatest quality and relevance.
- We thought everybody should know that the Kurosawa Lab is making a NEWS in The Journal of Nature Medicine
- The Martin Steffen Lab research project aimed at uncovering gene function had a focus story written about it in Microbe Magazine
- Dr. Remick’s Lab had a new NIH grant funded R01 GM 97320, Adenosine and Oxygen Modulate Antimicrobial Defenses. This grant grew out of work by one of the former pathology graduate students, Bryan Belikoff. The grant was funded for 4 years and the work will be done in collaboration with Dr. Sitkovsky at Northeastern University
- Dr. Ivana Delalle has been invited to chair a session on Translational Neurology at an international conference in Beijing, China in May next year
- Missy Cohen MT (ASCP) MPH, our Human Tissue Coordinator, has a poster accepted for AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) annual meeting October 22-25 in San Diego. Poster title is; “ISBT 128 and the Future of Tissue Traceability.” Missy collaborated with SC Sharpe, Northside Hospital, Atlanta, GA and C Rushing, Tampa General Hospital, Tampa FL
- Nancy S. Miller, MD has been appointed to the Membership Committee of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), 2011-2014
- Zach Hunter’s, PhD candidate, abstract has been selected by the American Society of Hematology (ASH) Program Committee for presentation in an Oral Session at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the ASH in San Diego, California in December 2011. Abstract Title: “Whole-Genome Sequencing Results From 30 Patients with Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia”
- Abstract Accepted for American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada, October 2011: “Reducing Patient Waiting Times for Phlebotomy.” Stephen Hammond MD, Janet Means, Neil O’Neill, Michael Khang, Jason Ladmirault, and Martin Kroll MD (Nominated as a Finalist for Best Poster submitted by a Resident Award and Best Poster in Lab Practice Management Award)
- Dr. Joel Henderson and the Renal Pathology Lab have several abstract posters accepted for presentation at the 2011 American Society of Nephrology Annual Meeting (“Kidney Week”) in Philadelphia November 8-13:
- Actinins Suppress Podocyte Contractility Fangfang He, MD*1, Hui Chen, MD1, Philip A Bondzie, PhD1, Julie A. Tomolonis1, Daniel J. Becker, MD, PhD2, Martin R. Pollak, MD3 and Joel M. Henderson, MD, PhD1. 1Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, United States; 2Division of Nephrology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA, United States and 3Division of Nephrology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, United States.
- Effect of Amyloidogenic Immunoglobulin Light Chains on the Contractile Cytoskeleton of Human Podocytes In Vitro Laura Econimo, MD*1, Julie A. Tomolonis1, Laura M. Dember, MD, FASN2, David C. Seldin, MD, PhD2, Lawreen H. Connors, PhD2 and Joel M. Henderson, MD, PhD1.
- 1Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA, United States and 2Amyloid Treatment & Research Center, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA, United States.
- Myosin Expression and Kidney Structure in Older Heterozygous Myh9 Knockout Mice Mostafa Belghasem, MD*1, Joseph S Coppola1, Philip A Bondzie, PhD1, Hui Chen, MD1, Julie A. Tomolonis1 and Joel M. Henderson, MD, PhD1. 1Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, United States
- Abstract accepted in NeuroTalk-2012 “Exosomal and Cell-Population miRNA Profiling in Brain Tissue of Patients Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder;” Patricia F. Kao, Kozubek J, Banigan M, Vanderburg C, and Delalle I*
- Athanasios Zovoilis, Hope Y Agbemenyah, Roberto C Agis-Balboa, Roman M Stilling, Dieter Edbauer, Pooja Rao, Laurent Farinelli, Ivana Delalle, Andrea Schmitt, Peter Falkai, Sanaz Bahari-Javan, Susanne Burkhardt, Farahnaz Sananbenesi & Andre Fischer: “microRNA-34c is a novel target to treat dementias” The EMBO Journal doi:10.1038/emboj.2011.327
- Gillespie, E., Leeman SE., Watts LA., Coukos J., O’Brien MJ., Cerda, JR., Farraye, FA., Stucchi, AF., Becker, JM. “The Truncated Neurokinin-1 receptor is Increased in Colonic Epithelial Cells from Patients with Colitis-Associated Cancer.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA). In Press, Published online as of October 3rd, 2011
- Moitra R, Beal DR, Belikoff BG, Remick DG. “Presence of Pre-Existing Antibodies Mediate Survival in Sepsis.” Shock, September 2011, in press (PMID:21921828)
- Tan, Josenia, Burke, Peter, Agarwal, Suresh, Mantilla-Rey, Nelson & Quillen, Karen: “A MASSIVE TRANSFUSION PROTOCOL INCORPORATING A HIGHER FFP: RBC RATIO IS ASSOCIATED WITH DECREASED USE OF RECOMBINANT ACTIVATED FACTOR VII IN TRAUMA PATIENTS” has been accepted for publication in the American Journal of Clinical Pathology