September 17th – THURSDAY @ 1:00 “Peptide-based Stx Neutralizers for Treatment of STEC...
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- The Installation of the First Nancy Bucher, MD Assistant Professorship of Susan Winandy, Ph.D. was held on the afternoon of Thursday, February 3, 2011. Among those in attendance at the installation were Dean Karen Antman, Dr. Linda Hyman, Associate Provost, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences; Richard Gamber, Dr. Bucher’s cousin; Dr. Daniel Remick, Chair of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine as well as many BUSM faculty and students This was followed on Friday, February 4th with the Fifth Annual Nancy Bucher MD Seminar with Guest Speaker, George Michalopoulos, MD, PhD Chair and Professor of Pathology from the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Michalopoulos gave an outstanding lecture on the liver, and included a photograph from a conference that he and Dr. Bucher attended in the 1990s. A reception for Dr. Bucher was held at the conclusion of the seminar.
|For more photos, visit our FaceBook Page|
- Notice received by Madhu Bogdan, 4th year PhD Candidate in Barb Nikolajczyk’s Lab: “We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to participate in the 2011 St. Jude National Graduate Student Symposium. From the 1285 students invited to apply for the 2011 NGSS, you are one of 42 students selected by a faculty review committee to attend this event. Congratulations on your admission to the 2011 class of the St. Jude National Graduate Student Symposium!” The Symposium is from March 28-April 1 this year in Memphis, Tennessee
- Madhu Bogdan, 4th year PhD Candidate in Barb Nikolajczyk’s Lab has been accepted to give an oral presentation at the American Association of Immunologists (AAI) conference in San Francisco May 13-17th: “The Role of the Immune System in Type 2 Diabetes”
- Michael H. A. Roehrl, M.D., Ph.D., has been invited to lead two Round Table Discussions at the upcoming National Cancer Institute Biospecimen Research Network Symposium in Bethesda, MD, from March 28-29, 2011. The topics are “Ultra-Rapid BioBanking for Next-Gen Pathology Research” and “High-Quality BioBanking Drives Metabolomics and Proteomics for Personalized Medicine”
- Resident Dr. Katherine Downey was the recipient of the 2010 CAP Foundation Resident Research Grant
- Michael H. A. Roehrl, M.D., Ph.D., has been invited to serve as an Associate Editor of the new “Journal of Integrated OMICS”
- Daniel Remick, MD was just elected to be a Councilor-at-Large for the American Society of Investigative Pathology
- Sam Thiagalingam, PhD had the following paper published on Feb. 1, 2011. “Smad4 inactivation promotes malignancy and drug resistance of colon cancer.” Papageorgis, P., K-h. Cheng, S. Ozturk, Y. Gong, A.W. Lambert, H. Abdolmaleky, J-R. Zhou and S. Thiagalingam. 2011. Cancer Res. 71(3): 998-1008. Kuanghung Cheng, also an author, is a former Pathology graduate student.