Theresa A. Davies, Ph.D.

What is your current role here at BU on the Medical Campus and/or Charles River theresa-retouch-3-websiteCampus?

I currently serve in several capacities primarily focusing on education. As Director of the MS in Oral Health Sciences (OHS) program, I work with students to improve their academic credentials for admission to dental school through rigorous DMD and graduate level course work as well as writing a thesis or capstone. I recently stepped down from serving as a faculty advisor in the MS in Medical Sciences program a credential enhancing program for students interested in becoming a physician but still remain very active in BUSM admissions.  Other roles include teaching, course development, master’s student thesis mentor and website management. I am passionate about advising, mentoring and medical education.

What educational background do you have? Tell us a little about your original career path?

I received my bachelors in Chemistry, specialization in Biochemistry from the University of Virginia. I continued on to earn my Ph.D. at BUSM in the Department of Biochemistry. Early in my career I was actively involved in research investigating APP, Aβ and amyloid deposition in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Over time, my passion for teaching and mentoring became clear and I eventually shifted my role to primarily teaching in the graduate and dental schools and administering the Oral Health Sciences Program.

How did you first become interested in medical education?

I have always been passionate about science but I stumbled on my interest in medical education as I became more involved with the MAMS program advising students. Assisting students in achieving their goal of gaining admission to dental and medical school has been so rewarding and has propelled me towards more curriculum development.

Have you recently received an award, grant, or other notable accomplishment? If so, please elaborate.

Over the past couple of years I have worked with the Vertical Integration Group at BUSM to develop a mobile application based on their Finding Information Framework (FIF), a conceptual algorithm to bridge the gap between point-of-learning (in the classroom) to point of care in the clinic. Working with clinical faculty in the Department of Family Medicine, as well as MAMS students and BU Medical Library we are in the final stages of making this mobile app available to BUSM students. The mobile app, recently published in Medical Sciences Education, was developed to assist students in the utilization of Evidence-Based Medicine in the clinical setting while learning the life-long skills of information mastery. It is currently available in the Apple app store (search for BUSM Finding Information Framework).

What is the most interesting and/or challenging part of your job?

I enjoy engaging with students and watching them learn and mature on their educational and professional journeys. It’s very rewarding yet also challenging to guide students to make the ‘best’ decision regarding their career path.

What do you like to do outside of BUSM?

I love the beach, camping, reading and family time.

Do you have any advice for current BU students?

Work hard each and every day. Never give up on your goals (both personal as well as professional) as the challenges you face on the journey will be worth the reward.