Vascular Neurology Fellowship
The Vascular Neurology Fellowship has existed at Boston Medical Center for more than 20 years. It is ACGME accredited for one year, and interested fellows are welcome to stay for a second research year. Up to two fellows are accepted for clinical training each year. Over thirty fellows have graduated from the program since 1996, with seven completing two-year fellowships.
Fellows are trained on the clinical aspects of stroke diagnosis and management, including the use of ultrasonographic and neuroimaging techniques, along with the principles of medical and surgical management of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke. Fellows are involved in the acute management, daily assessment, and follow-up of all stroke patients admitted to Boston Medical Center. Involvement in ongoing clinical research trials is also expected and encouraged. Many additional research opportunities exist through our close relationship with the Framingham Heart Study.
Comprehensive Stroke and Cerebrovascular Center
Boston Medical Center’s Comprehensive Stroke and Cerebrovascular Center offers a full spectrum of clinical and academic services to provide contemporary treatment for patients with cerebrovascular and spinal vascular diseases. We are a multidisciplinary group comprised of stroke neurologists, interventional neuroradiologists and cerebrovascular neurosurgeons with 24/7 coverage, committed to excellence in patient care, research and education.
We achieved Comprehensive Stroke Center (CSC) certification from the Joint Commission in 2018. We are located in Boston Medical Center’s beautiful Shapiro Center in Boston’s historic South End.
- 20+ year history of training leaders in the stroke field,
- Diverse patient population allowing exposure to uncommon conditions,
- Framingham Heart Study (since 1948 the Framingham Heart Study has been committed to identifying the common factors or characteristics that contribute to cardiovascular disease (CVD). We have followed CVD development over a long period of time in three generations of participants).
- Opportunities to attend the annual International Stroke Conference and the Wake Forest Neurovascular Ultrasound Course,
- Weekly Clinical Neuroscience Grand Rounds,
- Weekly multi-disciplinary Cerebrovascular Case Conference,
- A range of Journal Clubs on clinical stroke studies and new therapeutic approaches,
- Participation in ongoing clinical trials involving neurovascular patients,
- Outpatient stroke follow-up clinic located on-site,
- Paid AAN membership fee.
- A close knit, friendly atmosphere among faculty, fellows, residents, and staff.
Clinical and Research Components
- Inpatient stroke unit
- Outpatient stroke follow-up clinic
- Neuroradiology and Neurosonology
- Neuro-rehabilitation at Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Braintree
- Neurocritical care
- Nursing home visits
- Protected academic development time
- Research (Framingham Heart Study)
Applications for 2021 should be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) of the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). A link to the ERAS system can be found on the NRMP website.
|Julie G. Shulman, MD
Director, Vascular Neurology Fellowship
Boston University School of Medicine
72 East Concord Street, C-3
Boston, MA 02118
(Where are they now)
Sharjeel Panjwani, MD – Baystate Health, Springfield, MA
Virginia M. Roberts, MD – Private Practice, Ottawa, Canada
Malveeka Sharma, MD – University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Syed Abbas, MD – Providence Sacred Heart Hospital, Spokane, WA
Courtney A. Scott, MD – Mackenzie Health Richmond Hill, Richmond Hill, Canada
Julie G. Shulman, MD – Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
Sumeet Multani, MD – Bayhealth, Dover, DE
Varun Naragum, MD – Capital Institute for Neurosciences, Pennington, NJ
Abdullah A. Tawakul, MD – Medical College of Wisconsin-Freodetert Hospital, Milwaukee, WI
Hesham Masoud, MD – SUNY Upstate, NY
Hugo Aparicio, MD – Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
Ashkan Shoamanesh, MD – McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Rony Salem, MD – The Queen’s Health Systems, Honolulu, HI
Anna M. Cervantes Arslanian, MD – Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
Erica Camargo Faye, MD – Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Nicholas Tarlov, MD – Community Memorial Health System, Ventura, CA
Barbara Voetsch, MD – Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA
Feliks Koyfman, MD – New York Presbyterian, New York City, NY
Yih Lin Nien, MD – St. Bernardine Medical Center, Torrance, CA
Aleksandra Pikula, MD – University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Rodica Petrea, MD – Research Scientist at Framingham Heart Study (FHS), Boston, MA
Jane G. Morris, MD – Maine Medical Partners, Portland, ME
Cynthia R. Murphy, MD – Providence Sacred Heart Hospital, Spokane, WA
J. Rafael Romero, MD – Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
Cristina S. Ivan, MD – Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
Thomas Jeerakathil, MD – University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Andreas P. Schoeck, MD – Beth Israel Lahey Health, Newburyport, MA
Jason C. Viereck, MD – Hawaii Pacific Neuroscience Center, Honolulu, HI
Naveen Goyal, MD – The Brooklyn Hospital Center, New York, NY
Salman Malik, MD – Malik Neurological Associates Inc. , Cameron, MO
Christine Wijman, MD – Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA
Lenore Joseph, MD – Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA