2:00-3:00 PM; Friday, December 4, 2015 “Neisseria gonorrhoeae Induces non-canonical Pyroptosis in Human...
Year Degree Institution
Aug 1987-Feb 1993 M.B.B.S University of Bombay, India
Year Degree Institution
July 2010- Pathology Residency Boston Medical Center, Boston (BMC), MA
July 2009- Research Fellowship Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery
June 2010 Institution (MERSI), Cambridge, MA
July 2008- Clinical fellowship in Ocular Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
June 2009 Pathology and Oculoplastics (MEEI), Boston, Harvard Medical School
July 2007- Research fellowship Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary,
June 2008 Boston, Harvard Medical School
Nov 2006- USMLE steps 1, 2 and 3
Sept 2003- Postdoctoral research fellowship Schepens Eye Research Institute,
Oct 2006 Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Nov 2002- Aug 2003 Transition to USA
July 1998- MRCOphth (previously FRCS) Royal College of Ophthalmology,
Oct 2002 (Membership of Royal College) London University, UK
Aug 1996- Transition to UK Professional and Linguistic Assessment
June 1998 PLAB (medical entrance exam for UK) Board (PLAB), United Kingdom
Aug 1993- M.S. Ophthalmology University of Bombay,
Jul 1996 (Comparable to MD in USA) India
Feb 1993- General Medicine University of Bombay, India
Awards and Honors:
May 2012 Nominated for ‘Member in training’ award at the ARVO conference, Fort Lauderdale, 2012
Nov. 2010 Mallory Grant award, Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston Medical center
July 1996 Merit Rank Holder in M.S. Ophthalmology
Feb. 1992 Honors in Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology at M.B.B.S
July 1985 Merit Rank Holder in all state school exit exam
1. Mehta M, Fay A. Squamous cell carcinoma of the eyelid and conjunctiva. International Ophthalmic Clinics (Winter) 2008, 49 (1),111-121.[PMID:19125070]
2. Jakobiec FA, Mehta M, Sutula F. Keratinous Cyst of the Palpebral Conjunctiva. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jul-Aug;25 (4):337-9.[PMID:19617807]
3. Mehta M, Jakobiec FA, Fay A. ‘Fibro-inflammatory disease of the face, eyelid and peri-orbital membrane with IgG4-positive plasma cells’. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Aug;133(8):1251-5.[PMID: 19653720].
4. Jakobiec FA, Mehta M, Iwamoto M, Hatton M, Thakker M, Fay A. Intratarsal keratinous cysts of the Meibomian gland: distinctive clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical features in 6 cases. Am J Ophthalmol 2010 Jan;149(1):82-94. (PMID:19875094).
5. Jakobiec FA, Mehta M, Greenstein S, Colby K. The White Caruncle: Sign of a Keratinous Cyst Arising from a Sebaceous Glands Duct. Cornea. 2010 Feb 15.
6. Frederick A. Jakobiec, MD, DSc; Rebecca C. Stacy, MD, PhD; Manisha Mehta, MD; Aaron Fay, MD. IgG4-Positive Dacryoadenitis and Küttner Submandibular Sclerosing Inflammatory Tumor. Arch Ophthalmol.2010;128(7):942-944.
7. Husain D, Meyer RD, Chou E, Navruzbekov G, Ahmed E, Mehta M, Rahimi N. Role of c-Cbl Dependent Regulation of Phospholipase C gamma1 Activation in Experimental Choroidal Neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci.; 2010 Dec;51(12):6803-9. Epub 2010 Jun 30.
8. Mehta M, Dacey M, Foster CS. Recurrent conjunctivitis and scleritis secondary to coexistent conjunctival pemiphigus vulgaris and cryptic herpes simplex infection: a case report.
Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2010 Dec;18(6):454-6. Epub 2010 Sep 2.
9. Mehta M, Foster CS. Histopathologic differential diagnosis of common eyelid lesions. Contemporary Ophthalmology. 2010.
10. Mehta M, Siddique S, Foster CS. Immunohistochemical differences between normal and chronically inflamed conjunctiva: diagnostic features. Am J Dermatopathol. 2011 Dec;33(8):786-9.
- Manisha Mehta, GGW Adams, Catey Bunce, Wen Xing, Mercy Hill. Pilot study of the systemic effects of three different screening methods used for retinopathy of prematurity. Early Human Development (2005) Apr, 81(4), 355-360 [PMID: 15814220].
- Mehta M, Hernandez A, Fay A. Glaucoma and Port wine stains in Sturge-Weber syndrome. Dermatology. 2009. Aug 11 (Epub ahead of print)[ PMID: 19672053].
- Mehta M, Waner M, Fay A. Amniotic membrane graft in the management of conjunctival vascular malformations. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Sep-Oct;25(5):371-5.
- Nallaswamy N, Mehta M, Salas AH, Fay A. Statistics for Oculoplastic surgeons. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Mar-Apr;26(2):71-5.
- Mehta M, Mansfield T, VanderVeen D. The effect of topical anesthesia and age on pain scores in Retinopathy of Prematurity screening. J Perinatol. 2010 Nov;30(11):731-5. Epub 2010 Mar 18.
- Mehta M, Lau C, Hirose T, Taylor AW, Lashkari K. Biological characterization of subretinal fluid associated with advanced stage retinopathy of prematurity. Submitted.
- Tammy H. Osaki, Aaron Fay, Manisha Mehta, Nambi Nallasamy, Milton Waner, Dawn K. De Castro. Orbital development as a function of age in indigenous North American skeletons. Submitted.
1. M.N Mehta, E. Chau, N. Rahimi, D. Husain. Novel Role for Phospholipase C g1 in Choroidal Neovascularization. ARVO, Florida 2010.
2. M.N Mehta, S. Siddique, C.S Foster. Histopathologic comparison of conjunctival subepithelial fibrinogen between normal conjunctiva and cicatrizing conjunctivitis. ARVO, Florida 2010.
3. Luisa Watts, Mariam Alexander, Hao Wu, Stephen Hammond, Katherine Downey, Yanelba Toribio, Marier Hernandez-Perez, Dehua Wang, Manisha Mehta, Michael Roehrl. Systematic Prediagnostic Review of Endoscopy Reports Significantly Enhances Resident Performance During Slide Preview. USCAP, Texas, 2011
4. Manisha Mehta, Rosana D Meyer, John E. Mahoney, Kobra Rezazadeh, Nader Rahimi.
Identification IGPR-1 As A Novel Cell Adhesion Molecule Involved in Tumor Growth and Angiogenesis. USCAP, Vancouver, Canada 2012
5. Manisha Mehta, Srimathi Srinivasan, Rosana D Meyer, Ricardo Lugo, Vipul Chitalia, Nader Rahimi. PDCL3 Regulates Endothelial Cell Proliferation And Angiogenesis Through The Generation Of Functional VEGFR-2. ARVO, Fort Lauderdale, 2012.
1. Robert E. Weir, Manisha N. Mehta, John D. Pemberton, Aaron A. Fay.Growth Patterns in The Orbital Region: A study of Cadaver Crania. ARVO, Florida April 2011.
2. M.N Mehta, Fay A. ‘Correlation between orbital maturation and age. A pilot study with cadaver crania’. – poster presented at ARVO, Florida April 2007.
3. M.N.Mehta, T.Hirose, C.Lau, A.W.Taylor, K.Lashkari ‘Activated macrophages and immune cytokines participate in Advanced Retinopathy of Prematurity’- poster presented at ARVO, Florida April 2006.
4. M.N.Mehta, T.Hirose, C.Lau, A.W.Taylor, K.Lashkari. ‘Analysis of angiogenic factors and inflammatory cytokines in subretinal fluid from eyes with advanced retinopathy of prematurity’- poster presented at ARVO, Florida April 2005.
5. M.N.Mehta, T.Hirose, K. Lashkari. ‘Proteomic approach to identification of novel angiogenic factors in subretinal fluid from advanced retinopathy of prematurity’- poster presented at ARVO, Florida April 2004.
Warner M, Mehta M, Jakobiec F. Squamous neoplasms of the conjunctiva. In: Cornea (3rd edition) Mannis and Krachmer (ed). Saunders, 2009.
Identification of ubiquitin E3 ligase c-Cbl as a novel angiogenesis-suppressor protein. Manisha Mehta. Washington, DC. USCAP 2010.
Orbital development as a function of age in indigenous North American skeletons. Aaron Fay, Tammy H. Osaki, Manisha Mehta, Nambi Nallasamy, Milton Waner, Dawn K. III Orbital Society Symposium, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Sept 2012.
- ‘Aspergillosis’. Department Of Pathology, Tuft’s New England Medical College, Boston, MA, Sept 2009
- ‘Ocular Adnexal IGg4-Related Sclerosing Disease’. Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston Medical Center, MA. Feb 2011
- Vitreous Cytology: A Diagnostic ’Glimpse’ Into The Eye. Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston Medical Center, MA. June 2012
Ad hoc reviewer for journals:
- Digital Journal of Ophthalmology
- Ocular Plastic And Reconstructive Surgery
a. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)
b. College of American Pathologists (CAP)
c. Massachusetts Medical Society (MMS)
d. The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
e. Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London, UK
Current research projects:
1. ‘Identification of Immunoglobulin containing and Proline rich Receptor-1(IGPR-1) as a novel cell adhesion molecule with a possible role in tumor development.’
-Awarded the Mallory Grant from the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Research, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
2. Time line for optimal processing and immunohistochemical staining of breast lumpectomies for breast carcinomas. A quality initiative project for the Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
3. A review of cytologic diagnostic evaluations in 5000 vitrectomy specimens over 5 years from 3 tertiary referral hospitals in Boston (Boston Medical center, Tuft’s New England Medical Center and Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute, Cambridge)
Basic science research experience:
During my post doctoral research fellowship at The Schepens Eye Research Institute (SERI), I trained in a variety of proteomics techniques (available at the state of art proteomic department at SERI), performed immunohistochemistry, angiogenesis assays and am well versed with the methodologies of cell biology and molecular biology.
- Mehta M. ‘A comparison of postoperative astigmatism, following small incision surgery and conventional extracapsular cataract extraction’ (dissertation). Bombay University for M.S. Ophthalmology: July 1996.
- Mehta M. ‘Nd-YAG laser in posterior capsulotomy’ (dissertation). College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay for F.C.P.S: March 1996.
a. Teaching rotating medical students at BMC pathology and didactic sessions in neuropathology for medical students
b. Pathology conferences at BMC including Thoracic conferences, OBGYN conferences, Tumor board, autopsy conferences and grand rounds
c. Teaching Ocular pathology to Research fellows at MERSI
d. Preparing Ocular Pathology seminars at MEEI
e. Teaching Ocular pathology to Ophthalmology residents from MEEI and BMC during their rotation at MEEI
f. Regular didactic lectures for undergraduate medical students at Bristol Eye Hospital, United Kingdom
and Sir J.J Group of Hospitals, Bombay, India
g. Lecture on ‘Common cases in Pediatric Ophthalmology’ for Pediatric postgraduate medical trainees at Northwick Park Hospital, London, UK