Human Biospecimens for Research - Information
Fellowship Training in the Immunobiology of Trauma mission and goals
Two Year Fellowship Training in the Immunobiology of Trauma T32 GM 086308
Mission of the Training Program
The mission of this training program is to create the next generation of physician scientists for the investigation of immunobiology of trauma.
Objectives of the Training Program
The objectives of this training program are to provide solid grounding in basic science to accomplish the mission of training the next generation of physician scientists. Specific objectives include:
- Understand the pulmonary response to traumatic injury
- Determine alterations in the innate and adaptive immune responses which lead to an
unfavorable outcome following traumatic injury
- Examine alterations in wound healing that occur following traumatic injury
- Investigate cellular alterations that occur within the vasculature, cardiovascular system,
and liver and hematopoietic systems following traumatic injury.
These objectives capitalize on the scientific strengths of the training faculty, to provide an optimal environment.
Program Activities. All trainees will participate in the following activities.
- Commit to 2 full years of training.
- Participate in conferences that will include presentations by the fellows.
- Present their research findings at the annual Clowes Visiting Professor Day.
- Participate in the Boston University’s Responsible Conduct of Research, which fulfills the
NIH training requirements.
- Attend the research conferences in the academic unit where they are training.
Strongly Encouraged These will not be required of all trainees because some M.D. Ph.D. trainees may not benefit from such didactic courses.
- Summer Lung Cell Biology Course taught by the Pulmonary Center of Boston University.
- Biostatistics Course, from either the School of Public Health or the Medical School.
- Courses selected from the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences of Boston University,
based on the individual needs of the trainee.