Seshi Reddy Sompuram PhD
Adjunct Assistant Professor
- B.Sc (Hon’s) Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
- M.S.Boston College
- Ph.D. Boston University School of Medicine
Dr. Sompuram’s research interest is in antibody-engineering, epitope mapping, and phage-display technologies. He collaborates with Dr. Steven Bogen, and together their group focuses on translational projects, in the research and development of new technologies in the area of cancer detection, diagnosis, and therapeutics.
By applying the platform technology, recently the team developed and validated a clinical laboratory testing technology for nationally standardized measurement of protein markers that are expressed by carcinomas. The technology, a system of controls and calibrators for quantitative immunohistochemistry, was funded by the National Cancer Institute. The results of national clinical trials that included Her-2, ER, and PR markers, were published in 2008. With completion of the project, the technology was transferred to a commercial partner for large scale production, marketing, and distribution.
The group also developed a new platform discovery technology called Epitope-Mediated Antigen Prediction (E-MAP). This method allows one to identify the antigen to which a patient’s serum antibody binds without any other clues as to the antigen’s identity and can provide important clues to the etiology of diseases of unknown origin, without requiring any pre-existing suspicion or clinical clues. The method was published in Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, February 2008. The group first applied this technology to the analysis of paraproteins from patients with multiple myeloma. Those findings were published in Blood, January 2008. E-MAP is expected to create new discovery insights and diagnostic opportunities in B-lymphoproliferative disorders, autoimmunity, certain granulomatous diseases of unknown origin, and infectious diseases.
Dr. Sompuram also collaborates with Dr. Cruikshank’s group in the Pulmonary Department to develop an IL-16 peptide mimetic as a potential therapeutics for asthma. The project is funded by NIH.
- SA Bogen, K Vani, B McGraw, V Federico, Iqbal Habib, R Zeheb, E Luther, C Tristram & SR Sompuram. 2009. Experimental Validation Of Peptide Immunohistochemistry Controls. Appl. Immunohistochem & Mol Morphol. In press.
- SA Bogen, K Vani, & SR Sompuram. 2009. Molecular Mechanisms of Antigen Retrieval: Antigen Retrieval Reverses Steric Interference Caused By Formalin-Induced Crosslinks. Biotechnic & Histochem. In press.
- SR Sompuram, G Bastas, K Vani, SA Bogen. 2008. Accurate Identification Of Paraprotein Antigen Targets By Epitope Reconstruction. Blood. 111:302-308.
- G Bastas, SR Sompuram, B Pierce, K Vani, & SA Bogen. 2008. Bioinformatic Requirements for Protein Database Searching Using Predicted Epitopes From Disease-Associated Antibodies. Mol. Cell Proteomics. 7:247-256.
- K Vani, SR Sompuram, & SA Bogen. 2008. National HER-2 Proficiency Test Findings Using Standardized Quantitative Controls: Characterization of Laboratory Failures. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 132:211-216.
- K Vani, SA Bogen, & SR Sompuram. 2006. A High Throughput Combinatorial Library Technique for Identifying Formalin-Sensitive Epitopes. J. Immunol. Methods 317(1-2):80-89.
- SR Sompuram , K Vani , LJ Hafer, & SA Bogen. 2006. Antibodies Immunoreactive With Formalin-Fixed Tissue Antigens Recognize Linear Protein Epitopes. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 125(1):82-90.
- SR Sompuram , K Vani , & SA Bogen. 2006. A Molecular Model of Antigen Retrieval Using a Peptide Array. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 125(1):91-98.
- Bogen, SA & SR Sompuram. 2004. Recent Trends and Advances in Immunodiagnostics of Solid Tumors. BioDrugs 18(6): 387-398.
- SR Sompuram, Vani K., Wei L., Ramanathan H., Olken S., & Bogen SA. 2004. A water-stable protected isocyanate glass array substrate. Anal. Biochem. 326:55-68.
- SR Sompuram. Vani K. Messana E. Bogen SA. 2004 A molecular mechanism of formalin fixation and antigen retrieval. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 121(2):190-9.
- SR Sompuram, McMahon D, Vani K, Ramanathan H, & Bogen SA. 2003.A novel microscope slide adhesive for poorly adherent tissue sections. J Histotechnol.26(2):117-123.
- SR Sompuram, Kodela V. Zhang K. Ramanathan H. Radcliffe G. Falb P. Bogen SA. A novel quality control slide for quantitative immunohistochemistry testing. Journal of Histochemistry & Cytochemistry. 50(11):1425-34, 2002 Nov.
- SR Sompuram, Kodela V. Ramanathan H. Wescott C. Radcliffe G. Bogen SA. 2002. Synthetic peptides identified from phage-displayed combinatorial libraries as immuno-diagnostic assay surrogate quality-control targets. Clinical Chemistry. 48(3):410-20.
- Williams BR., SR Sompuram, J Sharon. 2002. Generation of Anti-Colorectal Cancer Fab Phage Display Libraries with a high percentage of diverse antigen-rective clones. Combinatorial Chemistry & High Throughput Screening. 5:327-335.
- Sharon J, SR Sompuram, CY-Yang, and BR Williams, 2002. Construction of polyclonal antibody libraries using phage display. Methods. Molecular Biology. 178:101-112.
- Santora KE, S. Sarantopoulos, W Den, S Petersen-Mahrt, SR Sompuram, and J Sharon. 2000. Generation of a polyclonal Fab phage display library to the Human breast cancer cell line BT-20. Combinatorial Chemistry & High Throughput Screening. 2:319-325.
- Sharon. J.,S. Sarantopoulos, W. Den, C. Y-Y. Kao, Baecher-Allan, C. M., K. E. Santora, SR Sompuram, S. Petersen-Mahrt, and B. R. Williams. 2000. Recombinant polyclonal antibody libraries. Combinatorial Chemistry & High Throughput Screening. 3:185-196.
- Baecher-Allan, C. M., K. Santora, S. Sarantopoulos, Den, W., SR Sompuram, A. M. Cevallos, N. Bhat, H. Ward, and J. Sharon. 1999. Generation of a polyclonal Fab phage display library to the protozoan parasite Cryptosporidium parvum. Combinatorial Chemistry & High Throughput Screening. 2:319-325.
- Den, W., SR Sompuram, S. Sarantopoulos, and J. Sharon. 1999. A bidirectional phage display vector for the selection and mass transfer of polyclonal antibody libraries. J. Immunol. Methods. 222:45-57.
- Wong, Y.W., D. S. Gill, B. Parhami-Seren, M. K. Short, SR Sompuram, and M. N. Margolies. 1998. Structural requirements for a specificity switch and for maintenance of affinity using mutational analysis of a phage-displayed anti-arsonate antibody of Fab heavy chain first complementarity-determining region. J. Immunol. 160:5990-5997.
- SR Sompuram, W. Den, and J. Sharon. 1996. Analysis of antigen binding and idiotypic expression by antibodies with polyglycine-replaced complementarity determining regions. J. Immunol.156:1071-1081.
- Sharon, J., C. Y-Y. Kao, and SR Sompuram. 1993. Oligonucleotide-directedmutagenesis of antibody combining sites. Intern. Rev. Immunol. 10:113-127.
- SR Sompuram, and J. Sharon. 1993. Verification of a model of a F(ab)-complex with phenylarsonate by oligonucleotide-directed mutagenesis. J. Immunol. 150:1822-1828.
Bogen, SA & SR Sompuram. 2009 Chapter 7. “Peptides As Immunohistochemistry Controls” in the textbook Immunohistochemistry & Antigen Retrieval Technique Based Research & Diagnostics, eds. SR Shi, C Taylor, & D Baskin, publishers Artech House Publishers, Inc. Boston, London.
Bogen, SA & SR Sompuram. 2009 Chapter 17. “Synthetic Peptides: An Approach to Study Molecular Mechanism of Antigen Retrieval” in the textbook Immunohistochemistry & Antigen Retrieval Technique Based Research & Diagnostics, eds. SR Shi, C Taylor, & D Baskin, publishers Artech House Publishers, Inc. Boston, London.