Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Spring 2015 Seminar Series: Friday, February 6,
K. Quillen M.D. M.P.H.
- Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Professor, Medicine
- A.B. Harvard College
- M.D. Queen’s University , Canada
- M.P.H. Boston University
- Residency in Medicine, Brigham & Women’s Hospital
- Fellowship in Hematology/Transfusion Medicine, New England Medical Center
Fellowships and Awards
- Fellowship in Hematology and Transfusion Medicine. New England Medical Center, Boston, MA.
- Medical Director, Blood Bank, Department of Lab Medicine, Boston Medical Center. Attending physician, Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, Boston Medical Center Dec 1999 – present.
- Assistant Pathology Residency Program Director, 2005-present.
- Interim part-time Medical Director, Transfusion Services Laboratory, Department of Transfusion Medicine, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center. Sept 2007 – July 2008.
- Acting Director, Blood Bank, Children’s Hospital, Boston. Associate in Medicine (Hematology), Children’s Hospital, Boston. 1997-1999.
- Transfusion reactions.
- Massive transfusion in trauma.
- Peripheral blood stem cell transplantation.
- Bauza G, Hirsch E, Burke P, Quillen K. Low-dose recombinant activated factor VII in massively transfused trauma patients with coagulopathy. Transfusion 2007; 47:749-751.
- Quillen K, Hu E, Lane C, Pelton S, Bateman S. Prevalence of ceftriaxone-induced red blood cell antibodies in pediatric HIV and sickle cell patients. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2008; 27: 357-8.
- Daniel-Johnson J, Leitman S, Klein H, Alter H, Lee-Stroka H, Scheinberg P, Pantin J, Quillen K. Probiotic-associated high-titer anti-B in a group A platelet donor as a cause of severe hemolytic transfusion reactions. Transfusion 2009; 49: 1845-1849.
- Wang D, Lane C, Quillen K. Prevalence of RhD variants, confirmed by molecular genotyping, in a multi-ethnic prenatal population. Am J Clin Pathol 2010; 134: 438-442.
- Quillen K, Sheldon SL, Daniel-Johnson JA, Lee-Stroka AH, Flegel WA. A practical strategy to reduce the risk of passive hemolysis by screening plateletpheresis donors for high-titer ABO antibodies. Transfusion 2011; 51: 92-96.
- Quillen K, Medrano C, Adams S, Peterson B, Hackett JA, Leitman SF, Klein HG, Stroncek DF. Screening plateletpheresis donors for HLA antibodies on two high throughput platforms and correlation with recipient outcome. Transfusion 2011; 51: 504-510.
- Quillen K, Seldin DC, Finn KT, Sanchorawala V. A second course of high-dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation for the treatment of relapsed AL amyloidosis. Bone Marrow Transplant 2010 Oct 18 [