DUE TO THE INCLEMENT WEATHER WE HAVE DECIDED TO POSTPONE OUR 10TH...
Kazem Azadzoi, M.D, M.A.
Professor of Pathology (Boston University Medical School)
Professor of Urology (Boston University Medical School)
Director of Urology Research (Boston University & VA Boston)
Senior Health Scientist (VA Boston Healthcare System)
Building 1A, Room 317
150 S. Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 01230
Membership in Professional Organizations
American Urological Association (AUA), 1991–present
International Continence Society (ICS), 1995–present
Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU), 2010–present
International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM), 1992–present
Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMS), 2015–present
Oxygen Club of California, 2011–present
North-East Smooth Muscle Society, 2000–present
Society of Basic Urology Research (SBUR), 2005–2008
National Bladder Foundation (NBF), 1999– 2005
Awards and Honors
Jean-Francois Ginestié Prize for best research in Erectile Dysfunction, 1990.
Endourological Society Prize for best research in Endourology, 1993.
Jean-Francois Ginestié Prize for best research in Female Sexual Health, 1996.
Jack Lapides Prize for best research in Neurourology, 1988.
American Urological Association CIRCON Prize for best research in Prostate Disorders, 2000.
Hall of Fame, Appointed to the International Continence Society Hall of Fame in 2005.
National Register’s Who’s who in Executives and Professionals, included since 2005.
VIP, global Who’s Who, included since 2007.
Who’s Who in America, included since 2008.
The Journal of Urology Best reviewer Award, AUA 2012.
Certificate of Appreciation, Merit Review Program – VA Central Office, 2012.
The Journal of Urology Best reviewer Award, AUA 2014.
Editor and Editorial Boards
Section Editor, Oxidants and Antioxidants, 2012 – present
Section Editor, Journal of Biochemical and Pharmacological Research, 2012-present
Section Editor, BioMed Research International, 2013-present
Editorial Board, British Journal of Urology, “Investigative Urology”, 2004-present
Editorial Board, World J. Clinical Urology (WJCU), 2011-present
Editorial Board, Austin Journal of Urology, 2014-present
Editorial Board, SM Urology, 2015–present
Editorial Board, Int. J. Gynecol. Obst. Res, 2013-present
Editorial Board, The Scientific World Journal (TSWJ), 2011-present
Editorial Board, Open Access Journal of Urology, 2008-present
Editorial Board, Open Access Journal of Andrology, 2008-present
Editorial Board, Scientifica, 2012-present
Institutional Committees & Peer Review Boards
Chairman, VA Boston Health Care System IACUC, 06-08
Chair Elect, VA Boston Health Care System IACUC, 2005
Member of Boston University Faculty Council, 2013-present
Member of Boston University Council, 2013-present
Review board member, VA Surgery Study Section, 08-11
Review board member, VA Middleton & Barnwell Awards for clinical & basic research, 2012
Review board member, NIH, NIDDK, Diabetes, Digestive, Kidney and Urology, 2014
Review board member, NIH, NIDDK, Diabetes, Digestive, Kidney and Urology, 2015
Member of VA Boston Healthcare System Steering Committee, 06-08
Member of Chief of Urology Search Committee, VA Boston Healthcare System, 2012
Ad hoc reviewer, NIH, Clinical Sciences Special Emphasis Panel, Urology Section, 1999
Ad hoc reviewer, NIH, Surgery, Anesthesiology and Trauma (SAT) study section, 1995
Member of Boston University Promotion Committee, 2007
Member of Boston University faculty network for studies of sexual dysfunction, 2008-present
Member of Boston University Promotion Committee, 2005
American Journal of Urology, 1990-present
International J. of Impotence Research. 1990-present
American Journal of Physiology, 1997-present
Urology (The Gold Journal), 1992-present
Journal of Neurourology and Urodynamic, 1992-present
Journal of Andrology, 03-present
European Urology, 03-present
Asian J. of Andrology, 03-present
Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 07-present
Journal of Sexual Medicine, 07-present
European Surgical Research, 08-present
European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2010-present
Oxidants and Antioxidants in Medicine, 2011-present
Dr. Azadzoi and colleagues were one of the earliest to introduce the concept of pelvic ischemia in the pathophysiology of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and erectile dysfunction (ED). Dr. Azadzoi is the developer of unique experimental model systems for studies of ischemia-associated LUTS and ED. His published work introduced a new concept suggesting that pelvic ischemia may be an independent factor in simultaneous development of LUTS and ED in the elderly patients. This concept received worldwide attention and led to multi-center clinical trials concerning pelvic ischemia and the incidence of LUTS and ED in the aging population.
In clinical studies, Dr. Azadzoi and colleagues documented decreased bladder and prostate blood flow with aging and reported a close correlation between pelvic ischemia and the development of LUTS and ED in the male patients. His follow up studies with cell culture and experimental models revealed cellular and subcellular mechanisms underlying ischemic injury in the bladder, prostate and penile erectile tissues. In another clinical study, a close correlation between nocturia and sleep disordered breathing was documented. Follow up studies with oxycycler models showed that conditions simulating sleep apnea contributes to nocturia via mechanisms involving bladder oxidative stress and detrusor instability. These observations suggested that LUTS, ED and nocturia may be indicators of impending cardiovascular, respiratory and sleep disorders that should be further investigated.
In basic research, Dr. Azadzoi and colleagues documented a number of signaling pathways and molecular mechanisms in lower urinary tract ischemia including RNA modifications, DNA damage, cell survival signaling, and altered protein expression. These changes in conjunction with lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation activated downstream pathways involving growth factors such as HIF, TGF-beta, VEGF and NGF and led to microvasculature damage, neurodegeneration, receptor modifications and fibrosis. Cultured cells exhibited differential reactions to hypoxia and oxidative stress conditions. Cellular reactions to hypoxia were associated with thickened deformed cell membrane, swollen mitochondria and enlarged endoplasmic reticulum (ER). Cellular reactions to oxidative stress were associated with partial loss of cell membrane, increased caveolae, swollen mitochondria with degraded cristae, splintered ER, and increased lysosomes. Reactions to hypoxia were consistent with activation of survival signaling, possibly to cope with lack of oxygen and energy demand. Changes in oxidative stress involved extensive cell damage and deterioration of the subcellular elements, suggesting a degenerative process. Mitochondria, ER and lysosomes mediated cultured cells reactions to disturbed oxygen tension. Cumulatively, these observations suggest leading roles of interrupted blood flow and disturbed oxygen tension in aging-associated LUTS and ED. Further research into the role of pelvic ischemia in LUTS-associated ED may lead to more effective diagnosis and better management of these problems.
Dr. Azadzoi collaborates with other researchers in the national and international organizations. His research laboratories provide a conductive environment for productive research, teaching, training, scientific communication and collaboration.
Kazem Azadzoi, M.D., M.A. (Director)
Jinghua Yang, Ph.D. (Investigator)
Kimberly Leite-Morris, Ph.D. (Investigator)
Mike Siroky, M.D. (Investigator)
Lori Lerner, M.D. (Collaborator)
Subbaroa Yalla, M.D. (Collaborator)
Maryrose Sullivan, Ph.D. (Collaborator)
Vivian Cristofaro, Ph.D. (Collaborator)
Abdulmaged Traish, Ph.D. (Consultant)
Han-Pil Choi (Collaborator)
Yedan Li (Research Assistant)
Doctoral and master degree candidates and post-doctoral fellows are welcomed to apply for training positions. We are seeking research associates and research assistants to join our investigators at the VA Boston Healthcare System research laboratories. Applicants should email their CVs to Dr. Azadzoi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Witthaus MW, Nipa F, Yang JH, Li Y, Lerner LB, Azadzoi Bladder oxidative stress in sleep apnea contributes to detrusor instability and nocturia. J Urol. 2015 May;193(5):1692-9. PMID: 25463994
- Thurmond P, Yang JH, Li Y, Lerner LB, Azadzoi Structural modifications of the prostate in hypoxia, oxidative stress, and chronic ischemia. KJ Urol. 2015 Mar;56(3):187-96. PMID: 25763122
- Rai A, Nimeh T, Sood A, Thirumavalavan N, Thurmond PE, Azadzoi KM, Lerner LB. Could nocturia be an indicator of an undiagnosed sleep disorder in male veterans? 2015 Mar;85(3):641-7. PMID: 25733279
- Lei X, Liu C, Azadzoi K, Li C, Lu F, Xiang A, Sun J, Guo Y, Zhao Q, Yan Z, Yang J. A novel IgM-H-ficolin complement pathway to attack allogenic cancer cells in vitro. Sci Rep. 2015 Jan 16;5:7824. PMID: 25592840
- Zhang Q, Siroky M, Yang JH, Zhao Z, Azadzoi Effects of ischemia and oxidative stress on bladder purinoceptors expression. Urology. 2014 Nov;84(5):1249.e1-7. PMID: 25219364
- Azadzoi KM and Siroky MB. Mechanism of lower urinary tract symptoms in pelvic ischemia. J Biochem & Pharmacol Res 2013; March;1(1):64-74. ISSN 2168-8761
- Azadzoi KM, Yang J, Siroky MB. Neural regulation of sexual function in men. World J Clin Urol. 2013 Nov;24; 2(3): 32-41. ISSN 2219-2816
- Liu D, Liu C, Li J, Azadzoi K, Yang Y, Fei Z, Dou K, Kowall NW, Choi HP, Vieira F, Yang JH. Proteomic analysis reveals differentially regulated protein acetylation in human amyotrophic lateral sclerosis spinal cord. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 2;8(12):e80779. PMID: 24312501
- Azadzoi KM, Yalla SV and Siroky MB: Human bladder smooth muscle damage in disturbed oxygen tension. Urol 2011; 78:967e9-15. PMID: 21872910
- Azadzoi KM, Chen B, Radisavljevic ZM, and Siroky Mike: “Molecular Reactions and Ultrastructural Damage in the Ischemic Bladder. J Urol 2011; 186:2115-22. PMID: 21944111
- Zhang Q, Radisavljevic ZM, Siroky MB and Azadzoi KM: Dietary antioxidants improve arteriogenic erectile dysfunction. Int J Andrology 2011; 34:225-235. PMID: 20584092
- Azadzoi KM, Golabek T, Radisavljevic ZM, Yalla SV and Siroky MB: Oxidative Stress and Neurodegeneration in penile ischemia. British J Urol 2010; 105:404-410. PMID: 19549113
- Azadzoi KM and Siroky MB: Neurologic factors in female sexual function and dysfunction. KJ Urol 2010; 51(7):443-9. PMID: 20664775
- Azadzoi KM, Radisavljevic ZM, Golabek T, Yalla SV and Siroky MB: Oxidative modification of mitochondrial integrity and nerve fiber density in the ischemic overactive bladder. J Urol 2010; 183 (1):362-369. PMID: 19914644
- Azadzoi KM and Siroky MB: Oxidative stress and molecular reactions in arteriogenic erectile dysfunction. Chonn Medical Journal 2009; 45:1-8. DOI: 10.4068/cmj.2009.45.1.1
- Azadzoi KM, Radisavljevic ZM and Siroky MB: Effects of ischemia on tachykinin containing nerves and neurokinin receptors in the bladder. Urology 2008; 71(5): 979-83. PMID: 18314167
- Azadzoi KM, Yalla SV and Siroky MB: Oxidative stress and neurodegeneration in the ischemic overactive bladder. J Urol 2007; 178: 710-15. PMID: 17574610
- Azadzoi KM, Master TA and Siroky MB: Effects of chronic ischemia on constitutive and inducible nitric oxide synthase in erectile tissue. J. Andrology 2004; 25(3): 382-8. PMID: 15064316
- Kim N, Azadzoi KM, and Goldstein I: A nitric oxide-like factor mediates neurogenic relaxation of penile smooth muscle. J Clinical Investigation (JCI) 1991; 88: 112-18. PMID: 1647413
- Saenz de Tejada I, Goldstein I, Azadzoi KM, Krane RJ and Cohen RA: Impaired neurogenic and endothelium-mediated relaxation of penile smooth muscle from diabetic men with impotence. The New England Journal of Medicine 1989; 320: 1025-30. PMID: 2927481
- Goldstein I, Saenz de Tejada I, Azadzoi KM, and Payton T: Neurogenic Impotence: A Pharmacologic Approach. In “Contemporary Management of impotence”. 1988; 147-166.
- Siroky MB and Azadzoi KM: Male and Female Sexual Dysfunction. In “Pelvic Floor Disorders” WB Saunders 2004; 89-120.
- Azadzoi KM: Effect of chronic ischemia on bladder structure and function. In “Bladder Disease: Research concepts and clinical applications”. 2004; 271-90.
- Azadzoi KM and Siroky MB. Neurogenic Sexual Dysfunction in Men and Women. In Male Sexual Function: A Guide to Clinical Management. 2006; 195-226.