Ravid Lab Training
Please proceed with the following:
1) Arrange to meet Ms. Itunu Alao (firstname.lastname@example.org):
Administrative Assistant, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute
700 Albany Street, W-CABR
Tel: 617 358-8202
- E-mail address (also refer to link below)
- BU ID: https://www.bumc.bu.edu/2021/03/11/medical-campus-id-services/
2a) Visit Human Resources Health & Wellness for quick links to Health Forms & Documents
2b) E-mail address: http://www.bu.edu/tech/accounts/email/
3) Orientation / Approval – Radiation, ask Radiation Officer
Radiation Safety Training: MANDATORY
4) Orientation / Lab Safety Training – ask Chemical Safety Officer
Lab Safety Training: MANDATORY
Sign up & check schedule here: http://www.bu.edu/rims/tag/training/
5) Orientation / Approval – Animal Science Center (ASC) – refer to websites below
Research Compliance Homepage: http://www.bu.edu/research/compliance/lacu/lasc/index.shtml
Animal Science Center Homepage and Training Resources: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/research/cores/the-laboratory-animal-science-center/
New Researcher Orientation: MANDATORY
Sign up here: https://www.bu.edu/rims/
6) Review of Safety Procedures in the lab
15-30 min with our Chemical Officer
15-30 min with our Radiation Officer
7) Proper usage of Tissue Culture Room
ASC Compliance, step-by-step (outlined by Dr. Cristal Thompson)
Please refer to: https://www.bu.edu/researchsupport/compliance/animal-care/housing/facility-access/
1. Complete online IACUC training at bu.bioraft.edu under “Courses”
a. Working with IACUC
b. IACUC Orientation
c. New Researcher Orientation (NRO)
d. Laboratory Safety Training
2. Initiate addition to appropriate IACUC protocol with Dr. Ravid. The IACUC training must be done before you can be added. Complete addition may take several days.
3. Complete the Research Occupational Health Program (ROHP) Initial Health Assessment located at the above website.
4. Initiate ROHP health clearance by completing TB test and Hepatitis B testing. This will take approximately 2 days. Located in Evans Building, Room 825, 72 E. Concord St.
5. Once steps 1-4 are complete, initiate a tour of 670 Albany St. with Allen Smith (email@example.com). You will need the IACUC protocol # and the researcher you will be working for
6. Once training and tours are complete, fill out the security access application located at the above website and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Optionally, you may take the completed security access application to Room 707 in the 700 building.
For ABSL2/ CCL access (example: when you administer BAPN to your experimental group):
Step #1: You must be cleared to wear a respirator by ROHP, please follow this link: OSHA Respiratory Medical Evaluation Questionnaire
Step #2: Once cleared to wear a respirator, you must then be tested to wear a respirator through EHS. Fit testing is held twice monthly, please follow the link below:
Step #3: Take W8 standard tour, which is a prerequisite for access to the ABSL2 rooms.
Step #4: After steps 1, 2, and 3 are completed, email Sinead O’Brien (email@example.com) to set up time for ABSL2/CCL tour(s).