Under-represented Groups at BU/BMC
Our fellowship program is committed to hiring applicants from under-represented groups. Boston University and Boston Medical Center have a deep commitment to diversity and aim to have faculty who reflect the diversity of our patient population. We believe that diversity is essential to promoting patient care, advancing research, and serving our community.
The university was the first coeducational medical college in the world and was the first US University to award a PhD to a woman.
At BU/BMC, leadership is committed to making this a place where trainees and faculty from under-represented group can thrive. Institutional resources include:
- The Diversity & Inclusion Office leads efforts on the medical campus. https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/about/diversity/
- The Under-Represented Racial and Ethnic Groups Faculty Development Program (URG). This longitudinal leadership and career development program is for faculty members from under-represented racial and ethnic groups on the BU Medical Campus (Schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Dentistry). The program uses self-reflection and assessment, experiential learning, and peer and senior mentorship to provide faculty with the tools necessary to navigate a successful career in academic health sciences, and to foster leadership skills that enable participants to positively affect change from where they stand. https://www.bumc.bu.edu/facdev-medicine/all-bumc/
- The Women’s Leadership Program (WLP) is a longitudinal program for women faculty on the Boston University Medical Campus (BUMC).
- The Department of Medicine has a training program in place for unconscious bias and we participate in an NIH randomized controlled trial for bias reduction in Internal Medicine (the BRIM study).
- The Department of Medicine has developed programs for recognizing and combatting micro-aggressions.
- The Faculty Development & Diversity Committee hosts informal dinners for faculty groups throughout the year.
- Our fellows and faculty are committed to social justice and have spearheaded efforts around protests for Black Lives Matter.
- For additional resources available at BU/BMC, please see https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/about/diversity/office-of-diversity-and-inclusion/diversity-policies/