The Nutrition and Metabolism Research Center has numerous resources to accommodate a variety of diverse research protocols. Our center works in close collaboration with Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center (BNORC).
Facilities and Equipment
- Research-only exam rooms for maximum availability
- ParvoMedics TrueOne® 2400 Canopy System metabolic cart
- GE Healthcare Lunar iDXA™ (Intelligent Dual-energy X-ray Absorptiometry) funded by BNORC
- Laboratory spaces, specimen storage, and processing/analysis supplies
- YSI 2300 STAT PlusTM Glucose and Lactate Analyzer
- Temperature-regulated centrifuge
- Strong connection to BMC’s Endocrinology, Diabetes, Nutrition and Weight Management Clinic to facilitate recruitment
- Access to and use of BMC’s services, including phlebotomy, laboratory services, and Investigational Pharmacy Services
Expert Consulting and Support
Our team of clinicians (MDs, NPs, RDs) and expert research staff (financial and clinical research managers) provide protocol design assistance, development of weight-related protocols, advising on the grant application process, procedural descriptions and training, and regulatory support.
Our group and members of BNORC also provide the following:
- Frequently sampled intravenous glucose tolerance tests
- Hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamps
- Adipose and muscle biopsies
- Indirect calorimetry
- DXA imaging
- Dietary data collection, assessment, and analysis
- Eating-related behavior modification counseling
Patients and visitors: We are now recruiting for several studies! If you are interested in hearing about studies that you may be able to participate in, please consider enrolling in the ENDO Registry.
Investigators: If you are interested in collaborating with the Nutrition and Weight Management team on a research study, please email or contact Özden Özkur Akinci and Zhihui Ju at 617-414-2935 or 617-414-2951.