Street Doctor

Photo courtesy of Jim O'Connell.
“I had to be present,” says O’Connell. “I had to be consistent. And then people opened up.” Photo courtesy of Jim O’Connell

Jim O’Connell has spent his medical career as a street doctor, caring for homeless people on the sidewalks, benches, and bridges where they live. O’Connell, president of the Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program and a member of the BU School of Medicine faculty, had originally planned a career in oncology, but after completing medical school at Harvard and a residency at Massachusetts General Hospital, he decided to work for a year at a handful of health clinics for the homeless at places like Boston’s Long Island Shelter and the Pine Street Inn. “After four years of medical school and three years of residency, I had thought my training was finally over,” writes O’Connell in his memoir, Stories from the Shadows: Reflections of a Street Doctor (BHCHP Press, 2015). “My education in homelessness and poverty was just beginning.”

O’Connell talks about slowing down and opening up, and how losing his stethoscope made him a better doctor.

Read the full story

This Bostonia story was written by