Travel Grants for BUSM IV Students
The IH Program at BUSM awards travel grants to BU medical students for research or clinical electives at least four weeks in length. Travel grant applications are accepted once per year (October 15) and funded through a competitive process.
Awards typically range from $400 to $1500, although awards of less or more are given. If a student received funding previously from the IH Program (e.g., summer scholarship), then the amount of the travel grant may be reduced. Since funds are limited, students are highly encouraged to seek other sources of funding to support their IH elective. See Funding for a list of possibilities.
BUSM IH Program will not give academic credit for, pay for, supervise, direct, or otherwise support a medical student in a country where a U.S. State Department Travel Warning is in effect. See Travel Warning Policy.
Before a student may apply for a travel grant, the elective must be added to his/her schedule – see How to Set Up an IH Elective.
To apply for the travel grant, submit the following document by October 15:
- Travel Grant Application (for electives not yet undertaken by October 15) OR
- Post-Elective Report & Travel Grant Application (for electives completed before October 15)
Application deadline is:
- October 15 (yearly)
The selection committee uses the following criteria when awarding the travel grants:
- Academic standing
- Length of time spent on project (minimum of 4 weeks)
- Location of study site, with priority given to sites in developing countries
- Clarity of ideas expressed and level of detail given
- Extent to which the proposed experience meets the goals of the IH program
- Effort put into preparation for proposed experience
- The degree to which the experience includes a public health component
- Relevance of learning objectives. The B.U. mentor can assist the student with developing learning objectives and planning the project.
- Appropriateness of proposed budget
When determining the level of support for each particular travel grant, the committee takes into consideration previous financial support given to the student such as funds received from the IH Summer Scholarship Program as well as support from outside sources (e.g., private organizations). This allows equitable awards for all students.
Announcement of awards are made about three weeks after each application deadline. Once the grant is awarded, no further negotiation of terms can be expected, but the timing of the award is flexible. Experiences that span more than one block may be eligible for more than one block’s funding. If plans change after an award letter is sent (in the case of those students who have not yet undertaken their electives), the student must notify the IH Program by submitting a revised Travel Grant Application and updated ADD Form for IH Elective. Funding is not guaranteed if changes to the original project are substantial.
Funding is by reimbursement and is intended to help cover airfare and other expenses related to the elective. The following two forms must be completed and submitted after completion of the IH elective. Funding is contingent upon receipt of these forms.
- Post-Elective Report (should be submitted within 30 days of student’s return and no later than the Friday before graduation)
- Travel and Business Expense Report (Excel file) Once you complete the Post-Elective Report, you will be sent an electronic form to complete (“Travel and Business Expense Report”) that will generate a check for reimbursement. Go to How to Obtain Your Travel Grant (tutorial) to begin this process.
Students are encouraged to develop a presentation or poster (based on the IH experience) for consideration at the annual meeting of Consortium of Universities for Global Health held annually in the spring.