Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) Faculty Appointments and Promotions Forms
Below are deadlines, forms, and additional information regarding the Faculty Appointments and Promotion process.
All materials for faculty appointment and promotion dossiers must be received by the deadlines listed below, and will be included in the FAP Committee meeting, providing the appointment package is complete.
Mon, 4/26/21Thurs, 6/10/21Wed, 6/23/21
BUSM Faculty Appointments and Promotion Dossier Submissions
FAP Committee Meeting
Executive Committee Meeting
|Mon, 5/24/21||Thurs, 7/8/21||Wed, 7/21/21|
|Mon, 6/21/21||Thurs, 8/5/21||Wed, 8/18/21|
|Mon, 7/26/21||Thurs, 9/9/21||Wed, 9/22/21|
|Mon, 8/30/21||Thurs, 10/14/21||Wed, 10/20/21|
|Mon, 9/27/21||Thurs, 11/4/21||Wed, 11/17/21|
|Mon, 10/25/21||Thurs, 12/2/21||Wed, 12/15/21|
|Mon, 11/29/21||Thurs, 1/13/22||Wed, 1/19/22|
|Mon, 1/3/22||Thurs, 2/17/22||Wed, 2/23/22|
|Mon, 1/31/22||Thurs, 3/10/22||Wed, 3/30/22|
|Mon, 2/28/22||Thurs, 4/14/22||Wed, 4/20/22|
|Mon, 3/28/22||Thurs, 5/12/22||Wed, 5/18/22|
|Mon, 4/25/22||Thurs, 6/9/22||Wed, 6/22/22|
|Mon, 5/30/22||Thurs, 7/14/22||Wed, 7/20/22|
|Mon, 6/27/22||Thurs, 8/4/22||Wed, 8/17/22|
* If Faculty Affairs receives an incomplete package, the package may not be included until the next meeting
* Unmodified Associate Professor and Professor package submissions are reviewed/approved by the FAP Committee and BUSM Executive Committee. Per BU Bylaws, the packets are then forwarded to the BU President for review/approval (this will require more time for approval consideration)
Required Documents and Explanation for Faculty Appointments & Promotions Processes at BUSM
All completed dossiers can be submitted to the Faculty Affairs Office (within the Office of the Dean and Provost) at email@example.com. If you are a faculty member, please submit the form to your department. The documents listed below can be saved to your computer, but please note that these documents may be modified at a later date.
Faculty Appointments and Promotions Checklist
Assistant Professor Criteria Revised, Effective 1/1/2021
Criteria for unmodified Assistant Professor Revised and approved by BUSM Executive Committee
Effective date: January 1, 2021
Revised Criteria: One publication or at least 3 years at the rank of Instructor with service to BUSM that include teaching, serving on committees, mentoring, school administration, etc.
Faculty Hiring Checklist (5/5/2021)
- Cover Page
- This form documents a short summary, in narrative form, of the faculty member’s academic and administrative activities for appointment or promotion to the rank of full Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor.
- BUSM Log Sheet
- This form is for appointment or promotion to the rank of Instructor, prefix “Clinical” or “Research” Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor, and secondary appointment (request at a separate time from primary appointment).
- Chairs Cover Letter
- The Chair’s letter should provide a thorough description of the rationale for the proposed appointment or promotion, with particular evaluation of the excellence of the candidate relative to objective measures, outcomes, and benchmarks of pertinent peers.
- Personal Statements should only be one page in length (2 pages in extraordinary circumstance).
- In narrative format, the candidate succinctly summarizes her/his teaching, research, clinical, and service activities. Please emphasize the significance, innovation, and dissemination of your activities/work. For promotions, please only include information from the time the individual was last promoted. This needs to come directly from the candidate as a first person.
- Committee Service: Please specify the candidate’s BUSM or BU committee service and include this information within the candidate’s Personal Statement as well as Chair’s letter
- Personal Statement Template
BUSM CV *Revised 3/23/2021*
- BU CV format – 3/23/21
- The date on the CV must be current and cannot be more than three months old when submitting to the Dean’s Office.
- This list ought to identify and separate internal (i.e., evaluators from Boston University) and external evaluators. Additionally, the list of internal and external evaluators should be alphabetical.
- Evaluator List for Assistant Professor
- Evaluator List for Associate Professor and Professor
- Evaluation letters must come from faculty of at least the proposed rank of the candidate (number of letters on chart below).
- Evaluation letters must be on letterhead and signed.
- Evaluation letters must specifically mention the proposed rank and comment about the candidate’s contributions.
- Evaluation letters should be selected by the Department Appointment & Promotions Committee (candidates may suggest possible referees).
- For appointments and promotions to Associate Professor and full Professor with unmodified titles only, none of the evaluation letters may come from close friends, mentors, and active collaborators. The letters must be at arms-length.
- For appointments and promotions to Associate Professor or Professor with modified titles of Clinical or Research, all evaluation letters are not required to be at Arms-Length.
- Evaluation letters should be no more than 6 months old when submitted for FAP committee review.
- Arm’s Length Criteria
Solicitation Letters (Modified and Unmodified)
- Offer Letter with Term Dates (for initial appointments only)
- This is the letter originally presented to the candidate making an offer of employment and establishing the terms of his/her employment. This letter should make plain the date employment began as well as the date upon which the initial term of hire ends.
- Boston University Medical Group (BUMG) Offer Letter
- Non-BUMG Offer Letter
- Affirmative Action Documents
- In an effort to ensure that departments search widely and well for qualified faculty members, BUMC insists on the documentation of each search committee’s efforts to hire, including the plan for recruitment, the composition of the search committee, and the ultimate composition of the candidate pool.
- If submitting dossier at the same time as primary appointment, both chairs are required to sign the cover page with votes from both Departments’ A&P Committees and provide joint chairs’ letter confirming the secondary appointment and specifying the role in the department.
- If not requested at the same time as primary appointment, a BUSM log sheet with signatures from both chairs and votes from the secondary department’s A&P Committee, joint chairs’ letter to Provost Antman confirming the secondary appointment and specifying the role in the department, and updated BU CV.
Last Modified: 12/13/2019