Job and Fellowship Board

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) School of Medicine and newly established clinical entity, UTHealth Rio Grande Valley are growing. The Department of Pediatrics and Preventive Medicine seek a Preventive Medicine physician to assist in coordination, development and successful implementation of the Preventive Medicine residency that began with 2 residents in July 2017. The program’s goals are to inculcate trainees in the core competencies of general preventive medicine and health promotion, promote health and wellness in vulnerable populations and reduce preventable health disparities.

Candidates must have completed an ACGME approved Residency in Preventive Medicine and be board certified in Preventive Medicine or a sub-field (Aerospace Medicine, Environmental Medicine or Occupational Medicine). Applicant must also possess or be able to obtain an appropriate medical staff appointment. Experience teaching in a Preventive Medicine Residency program is preferred and an interest in Lifestyle Medicine and working with the underserved communities.

Must possess an MD, DO or equivalent degree from an accredited institution, and can be licensed in the State of Texas.  Candidate must be able to obtain appropriate medical staff appointment. Academic rank will be awarded commensurate with academic credentials and qualifications.

For consideration, please forward a copy of your CV and statement of interest to:  Kate Rader, Director SOM Faculty Recruitment  SOMdocs@utrgv.edu

10/17

 

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center has faculty openings for certified addiction medicine specialists at junior (immediately post-fellowship; Assistant Prof) and higher levels (Associate and Professor) in its Center for Addiction Science (CAS). The faculty positions will be in the College of Medicine in the Department of Family Medicine at a rank and compensation commensurate with experience. This Center represents a major effort of the University and the College, and includes educational, research and clinical components.  The Addiction Medicine Foundation (TAMF) has designated CAS as their National Research Center, and also as its first center-of-excellence.  Dr. Dan Sumrok is the Director of CAS, and Dr. Karen Derefinko is Director of the National Research Center.

The Center has an active clinical mission that includes inpatient and outpatient services.  The key outpatient office provides an excellent site for individual and group treatment/therapy, and is located in newly renovated space that has just opened.  Clinical duties will occupy initially at least 90% of the faculty members’ effort.  The remaining 10% effort will be devoted to teaching medical students and residents.  In addition, there is the opportunity for clinical research.  Studies underway include analysis of genetic determinants of the severity of neonatal abstinence syndrome, the prevention of addiction among adolescents prescribed opioids, the detection of opioid self-administration using wearable devices, and the epigenetics of exposure to opioid medication.  CAS plays an active role in the education of medical students and an addiction medicine fellowship program.  The latter is the first in the state, and is an important activity for the Center.  Basic and translational research associated with the Center is housed on the College of Medicine campus, and includes molecular and preclinical behavioral studies from investigators in multiple departments including pediatrics, pharmacology, physiology, the Center for Neurobiology, etc.

We seek highly motivated individuals that would prosper in and contribute to a stimulating environment in addiction science.  Our goal is first-rate patient care delivered in a research-informed environment that includes learners.  The successful candidate must have an MD and be board certified in addiction medicine. Applicants should have a demonstrated commitment to diversity and equal opportunity.

Interested candidates should contact:  David M. Stern, MD:  dstern@uthsc.edu and/or Dan Sumrok, MD:  dsumrok@uthsc.edu

10/17