Jag Bhawan, MD
Guido Majno Professor of Dermatology and Pathology
Head of the Dermatopathology Section
Director, Skin Pathology Laboratory & Dermatopathology training programs
Vice-Chair & Director, Teledermatology
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine, Dept of Dermatology
609 Albany Street, J-309, Boston, MA 02118
Board Certifications: Anatomic Pathology, Dermatopathology, Dermatology
Special interests: Melanocytic lesions, Squamous epithelial neoplasms and pigmentary disorders. Whole slide imaging for teaching and research.
Research Interests: Wound healing, disorders of pigmentation, photoaging
|1963||Pre-Medical||Kirorimal College, University of Delhi, India|
|1968||MBBS||Maulana Azad Medical College, University of Delhi, India|
|1972||MD||Doctor of Medicine in Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India|
|1973-1975||Residency & Fellowship||St. Vincent Hospital, Worcester, MA (Residency in Pathology, Fellowship in Dermatopathology)|
|1981-1983||Residency||Dermatology, Boston University/Tufts University, Boston, MA|
2009: Member of The Chester S. Keefer, MD Society, BUSM
2008: Founders award, American Society of Dermatopathology
2006: Walter Nickel award for Excellence in teaching of Dermatopathology, American Society of Dermatopathology
2001-2: President, American Society of Dermatopathology
1998: Teacher of the Year award from the dermatology residents of the combined Boston-Tufts Universities Dermatology program.
Jag Bhawan received his M.D. degree from Maulana Azad Medical College (1968) and a doctorate degree in Pathology from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India (1972). He trained in Pathology and Dermatopathology at St. Vincent Hospital in Worcester, MA (1973-75), prior to joining the University of Massachusetts Medical School as the head of Dermatopathology and Assistant Professor of Pathology (1975). He was promoted to the rank of tenured professor in 1985. He also trained in Dermatology at the combined Boston University/Tufts Dermatology program (1980-83) before joining the faculty of Boston University in 1986. He has published over 265 original articles, written several book chapters and co-authored an interactive dermatopathology atlas online. Jag Bhawan serves on the editorial board of the American Journal of Dermatopathology. Since 2009 Dr. Bhawan is a member of The Chester S. Keefer, MD Society at Boston University School of Medicine for recognition of his generous contributions and commitment to the institution.
• Barron AMS, Mantero JC, Ho JD, Nazari B, Horback KL, Bhawan J, Lafyatis R, Lam C, Browning JL. Perivascular Adventitial Fibroblast Specialization Accompanies T Cell Retention in the Inflamed Human Dermis. J Immunol. 2018; 202:56-58
• Ho, JD, Bhawan, J. Mimickers of classic acantholytic diseases. Journal of Dermatology. 2017; 44:232-242.
• Barron, A, Rice, L, Stifano, G, Shuford, M, Wang YM, Nazari, B, Korndorf, T, Lee J, Lafyatis, R, Browning, J, Bhawan, J. Altered Dermal Fibroblasts in Systemic Sclerosis Display Podoplanin and CD90. Am J Pathol. 2016; 186: 2650-2664.
• Batrani M, Bhawan J. Pitfalls in the diagnosis of cutaneous lymphoma. Am J Dermatopathol. 2014; 36:90-100.
• Abbas O, Miller D, Bhawan, J. Cutaneous malignant melanoma: update on diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers. Am J Dermatopathol. 2014; 36:363-379.
• Bhawan J, Perez Chua TA, Goldberg L. Sclerotic bodies beyond nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. J Cutan Pathol. 2013; 40:812-817.
• Bhawan J. Infections in dermatopathology: emerging frontiers. Am J Dermatopathol. 2012; 34:789-799.
• Bhawan J. Non melanocytic mimickers of melanocytic neoplasms. Histopathology. 2012; 60: 715-730.
• Bhawan J. Short- and long-term histologic effects of topical tretinoin on photodamaged skin. Int J Dermatol 1998; 37(4): 286-292.
• 2015: Certificate of appreciation, from the International League of Dermatological Societies.
• 2012: Teacher of the Year award from the dermatology residents and International trainees
• 2008: Founders award, American Society of Dermatopathology
• 2006: Walter Nickel award for Excellence in teaching of Dermatopathology, American Society of Dermatopathology
• 2001-2: President, American Society of Dermatopathology
• 1998: Teacher of the Year award from the dermatology residents of the combined Boston-Tufts Universities Dermatology program