SummerLab offers two curricula:
SummerLab 2013 Sessions:
Session 1 July 8-12 Go for the Glow Session 2 July 15-19 Go for the Glow Session 3 July 22-26 Go for the Glow Session 4 July 29- August 2 Clinical Connection Session 5 August 5-9 Clinical Connection
Go for the Glow: Production and purification of Green Fluorescent Protein
Go for the Glow is focused on the central concepts and skills of recombinant DNA technology as it applies to biotechnology. The use of green fluorescent protein (GFP) allows students to visualize the processes of gene expression, lysis, and purification.
Dates: July 8-12, July 15-19, July 22-26
Clinical Connection: A Medical Research Challenge
Clinical Connection is focused on exploring medical research and techniques. This hands-on week will introduce the use of cutting edge technology to research disease and the processes involved in the development of potential treatments.
Dates: July 29- August 2, August 5-9
At the end of all sessions on Friday, students will present their work at a poster session, to be followed by a reception. Parents, friends, family, and BUSM faculty are all invited.
- SummerLab tuition is $1000 per session.
- This is a day program.
- Both commuters and boarders are welcome.
- Housing is available on the Charles River campus (additional fees apply).
- Food, transportation and lodging are not provided for commuters.
- SummerLab is a program for students entering the 10th–12th grades as well as matriculating college freshmen.
- From July to August 2013, there are 5 one-week sessions to choose from. Each session meets Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m with the exception of Wednesdays when the program ends at 4:00 p.m.