At this time, we are unsure what state and university COVID-19 guidelines will be for the summer of 2021. In the event that SummerLab will not be able to run in-person, we are looking into remote options for the program. We are interested in hearing from students or parents to find out whether there is interest in attending SummerLab 20201 if we offer a remote/virtual version of the program. Please take a moment to fill out the form below to let us know which type of program interests you and we will send you updated information on our plans as they develop.
History of SummerLab
Created in 1996, the summer program provides an opportunity for students to develop a deeper understanding of basic techniques and concepts related to DNA science. While working in teams, the students assume the role of a biotechnology company and work together to design and carry out an investigation to solve problems in biotechnology.
The CityLab Biotechnology SummerLab provides students with a hands-on experience and the freedom to design and plan their own experiments, while providing the support to help them learn from their mistakes. Students work cooperatively with the guidance of CityLab educators to learn concepts and skills associated with biotechnology and to think scientifically and creatively in the context of authentic laboratory challenges.
The CityLab Biotechnology SummerLab provides:
- An authentic hands-on laboratory experience in biotechnology
- Freedom to design and plan experiments
- Support to learn from mistakes
- Pertinent readings to prepare for the investigations
- Laboratory time to apply the techniques and concepts of biotechnology in a problem-based, authentic setting
- An opportunity for students to communicate their findings during a poster session