Faculty Online Resources
Boston University provides faculty with online resources and tools to access and manage personal employee information, and resources for teaching and research.
Faculty Central http://www.bu.edu/faculty/ is a site dedicated to providing the most accurate and helpful resources and links to Boston University faculty members.
Administrative systems available through the Faculty Link provide faculty access to class schedules, class lists, advisee lists, and final exam schedules, as well as academic and contact information for students in their current classes for both the Charles River and Medical Campuses.
BUworks provides integrated administrative tools and processes needed to support the university. Faculty can access information about employee self-services (personal profile, benefits, enter time, and pay statements), and work-related finances (sourcing and procurement for research and classroom teaching needs). More information about BU Works can be found at http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/admin/fin-hr-proc/central/
Blackboard Learn http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/teaching/lms/blackboard/
BBLearn is the learning management system at Boston University. Faculty can manage the courses they teach and their learning materials. Faculty can also manage the courses they are taking, if any, including courses for research compliance.
For more information on several other faculty services and resources available at the BU Medical Campus (BUMC), Charles River Campus (CRC) and Boston Medical Center (BMC) please visit:
BU calendar: http://www.bu.edu/calendar/ – for information of university holidays, the academic calendar and intersession and other BU events.
For daily campus news, read BU Today at http://www.bu.edu/today/
BU Sustainability: http://www.bu.edu/sustainability/
Charles River Campus: http://www.bu.edu
Boston Medical Center: http://www.bmc.org/patients.htm
IT Resources and Services
Contact the BU Tech Web (http://www.bu.edu/tech/) for any concerns about BU Login and Kerberos passwords, email accounts, computer and software support and purchase, or support for faculty online resources (BUworks, Faculty Link, Blackboard Learn). For any problems specific to BUMC internet network access and on-site computer and network support contact the BUMC IT department at: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/it/support/contact/. Below is a list of common IT support services and links available and useful to faculty:
- BU log in and Kerberos password set-up and support: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/support/iam/authentication/kerberos/kerberos/ BU login name and Kerberos password are used across most computing resources at the University. They are required for connecting to the secure BU wireless network, accessing BU e-mail, Faculty research, teaching and personal online resources (BU Works, Faculty Link, Blackboard Learn)
- Email account support: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/comm/email/
- Wireless network access: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/support/networks/wireless/
- Remote access to the BU network: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/support/remote/
- Software freely available to BU faculty: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/support/desktop/distribution/
- Computer and software purchasing: http://www.bu.edu/tech/support/purchase/
- Technical support for online faculty resources:
- For BUworks: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/admin/fin-hr-proc/central/
- Faculty Link: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/admin/the-links/faculty-link/
- Blackboard Learn: http://www.bu.edu/tech/services/teaching/lms/blackboard/
Identification Cards and Building Access
For obtaining/replacing ID cards and obtaining/reinstating card key access, please contact the BUMC ID office: 710 Albany Street room 102; M-F, 7-9:00 a.m. and 12:30-3:00 p.m. For more information visit http://www.bumc.bu.edu/publicsafety/services/id/, call (617) 638-6879 or email firstname.lastname@example.org For departmental access requests not related to animal facilities, please contact Melissa Kelly (email@example.com ).
BUMC Map and Building Directory: Boston University Medical Campus (BUMC), located in the historic South End of Boston, comprises the Boston University School of Medicine, the School of Public Health, the Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, and the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences. Boston Medical Center (BMC) is a medical facility intermingled with BUMC and is the primary teaching affiliate of the School of Medicine. Facilities and resources for faculty are also available at the BU Charles River Campus, located in the Fenway-Kenmore-Allston neighborhood of Boston.
A complete map and directory of building address for BU and BUMC can be found at http://www.bu.edu/maps/.
More information about maps and directions specific to BUMC can be found at http://www.bumc.bu.edu/about/map-directions/.
A BUMC Building index specifying the building addresses, names and letter index (if any) are found at http://www.bumc.bu.edu/about/map-directions/building-index/
Departmental Faculty and Staff Directory
The Department of Anatomy & Neurobiology central office is located on the 10th floor of the BU School of Medicine Instructional building at 72 East Concord St (L 1004).
Faculty: Departmental Faculty Offices and Research laboratories are located across various buildings on the Medical Campus:
- 72 East Concord St. (L) Instructional Building, School of Medicine – Classrooms, lecture halls, Departmental Office, and location of faculty offices and laboratories
- 700 Albany St. (W) – location of faculty offices and research laboratories
- 650 Albany St. (X) Evans Biomedical Research Center – location of faculty offices and research laboratories
- 780 Harrison Ave (R) Housman Research Center – location of faculty offices and research laboratories
For a complete listing of faculty offices and laboratory locations please visit http://www.bumc.bu.edu/anatneuro/our-people/faculty/
Administrative Staff: The Office of Financial and Grants Administration (http://www.bumc.bu.edu/ofga/) offers support for all awarded grants and finances, including purchases for teaching and research, salary, and student stipends. Administrative support is also available for the use and coordination of the Medical Gross Anatomy Lab and the Anatomical Gifts program.
Associate Dean, Office of Financial and Grants Administration
72 East Concord St (L 1004)
Anatomy & Neurobiology Department
72 East Concord St (L 1004)
|Robert A. Bouchie
Director, Anatomical Gifts program and
Laboratory Manager of the Medical Gross Anatomy Lab
780 Harrison Ave (Housman Research Building) R-1002
Assistant Laboratory Manager of the Medical Gross Anatomy Lab
Director, Forensic Anthropology Anatomical Gift Program
780 Harrison Ave (Housman Research Building) R-1002B
Parking and Transportation Services
The BU Medical Campus Office of Parking & Transportation Services (OPTS) is located at 710 Albany St. (near the entrance to the parking garage). You can visit this office to learn more about BU and BUMC’s Parking and Transportation Services, check out options for Staff Parking and Permits and purchase MBTA passes.
Information about obtaining a BUMC parking permit, rate structure, garage hours, parking on the Charles River Campus (reciprocal parking) as well as many other parking and transportation related topics can be found on the OPTS website http://www.bumc.bu.edu/parking/
- Information about alternative means of transportation to and from BUMC/BMC is available at the Transportation Solutions for Commuters, Inc. (TranSComm) website http://www.bumc.bu.edu/transcomm/. TranSComm, Inc. is a transportation management association that coordinates the transportation needs of the BUMC/BMC community. The website includes helpful links on public commuter train and bus services and passes (MBTA), commuter bike information (Hubway, bike routes, safety and parking), and the carpool and hybrid programs at BUMC
- BU Shuttle (BUS) service is offered between the BU Medical and Charles River Campuses. The BUS schedules can be found at http://www.bu.edu/thebus/. In addition, an online website and a mobile phone app, BU mobile, with real time BUS tracking is available. You can also follow updates on BUS service via twitter (@BUShuttle)
- There are other free shuttle services for the BU Medical Campus Community (inner campus shuttle, evening “T” shuttle, Boston VA Medical Center shuttle). The shuttle schedules can be found at http://www.bumc.bu.edu/transcomm/shuttle-buses/
- The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) services Boston and surrounding communities. Information on train and bus routes can be found at http://mbta.com/. BUMC Employees may sign up for monthly, pre-taxed by payroll deduction for monthly MBTA passes http://www.bumc.bu.edu/transcomm/mbta-service/bumc-employees/
- Information on Parking and Transportation services at the Charles River Campus is available through http://www.bu.edu/parking/
Facilities Control, Public Safety and Emergency Response
For any issues regarding security and emergency response call:
Command and Control Center/ Public Safety
617-414-4444 (or dial ext. 4-4444 from any BUMC phone)
Office: 750 Albany St.
*The Control Center can also be reached via emergency call boxes located around BUMC/BMC.
For non-emergency facilities issues (e.g., temperature control, plumbing) call Control:
617-638-4144 (or ext. 8-4144 from any BUMC phone)
Service calls are dispatched from the control center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Command and Control Center is run by the BUMC Public Safety Department (http://www.bumc.bu.edu/publicsafety/), which is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment and minimizing the opportunity for the loss of personal and institutional assets. Their services include:
- Providing public safety escorts (i.e., walking to and from parking garages)
- Addressing facility concerns: flooding, heating issues etc.
- Addressing general public safety concerns
BU also has University-wide emergency mobile, phone and email alert systems in place, by which all staff, faculty and employees receive continuously updated information on public safety concerns and police activity within BU campuses and nearby areas.
For work-related medical services:
- Boston Medical Center Occupational & Environmental Medicine (for general work-related health concerns and yearly flu shots) http://www.bu.edu/buohc/contact-us/medical-contacts/
Preston Family Building (F5) 5th Floor, 732 Harrison Avenue
Phone: 617-638-8400 (7:30a-4pm)
- Research Occupational Health Program (for research work-related health concerns) http://www.bu.edu/rohp/
72 E. Concord Street, Evans Building, Room 825
Phone: 617-414-ROHP (7647)
Several BU libraries are available for print and online references and services to support education and research at BU (http://www.bu.edu/library/).
- E-journals: http://www.bu.edu/library/research/collections/ejournals/
- The BUMC Alumni Medical Library http://medlib.bu.edu/
- The Mugar Library on the CRC http://www.bu.edu/library/mugar-memorial/.
- Science and Engineering Library on the CRC http://www.bu.edu/library/sel/
Campus Food and Dining Options
There are several food and dining options at the BU Medical Campus and Boston Medical Center.
- Chequers, (Basement, 72 E. Concord St.; L Instructional bldg, School of Medicine) M-F, 11a-4pm
- Peet’s Coffee (lobby, 72 E. Concord St. School of Medicine, L Instructional bldg) M-F, 7a-4pm
- Subway Sandwiches and City Convenience, (700 Albany St. W building), M-F 7a-6p
- Newton Pavilion Cafeteria (88 E. Newton St., on second floor) M-F, 6:30 am – 7 pm; Sat, Sun 7 am – 7 pm
- Menino Pavilion Cafeteria (840 Harrison Ave., on the second floor) M-F, 6:30 am – 7 pm; Sat, Sun 7 am – 7 pm
- Outtakes Quick Cuisine (in the lobby of Menino Pavilion and Newton Pavilion) M-F, 6:30 am – 7 pm
- MG’s Café (on the first floor of the Doctors Office Building, 720 Harrison Ave) M-Th, 6:30 am – 5 pm, F, 6:30 am – 3 pm
Various vendors are also available on the first floor of the Yawkey Ambulatory Care Center, including Dunkin Donuts and the D’Angelo Sandwich Shop. Additionally, there are a number of restaurants and sandwich shops in the South-End neighborhood surrounding BMC (http://www.bu.edu/today/2015/getting-to-know-your-neighborhood-the-south-end/).
Other Facilities and Resources
Mailing services: The Departmental mailroom is located on ground floor of 72 E. Concord St. (L Building). A FedEx facility is located at 700 Albany St (W building).
ATMs and Banking:
ATMs are located at:
- 72 E. Concord St. (L Building): Bank of America ATM, Sovereign bank ATM
- 700 Albany St (W building): Bank of America ATM
Full banking service available at:
Metro Credit Union
710 Albany St, Boston, MA 02118