GSDM Students Take the Oath of the Classes at Professional Ceremony

GSDM 2012 Professional CeremonyNew pre-doctoral students marked the end of orientation on Friday, August 3,  at the Professional Ceremony held at 670 Albany Street, where students recited the Oath of the Classes. This was the largest group of family and friends ever to attend GSDM’s Professional Ceremony.

The event was joyous, with people cheering when their family members and future-dentists crossed the stage to accept their pins.

Dr. Joseph Calabrese greeted students and families. He said, “It is my pleasure to welcome distinguished guests, family, friends, faculty, and staff to the Professional Ceremony. This has been an exciting week for our new students. We hope that you have had the opportunity to meet new friends and establish relationships to last a lifetime.”

Dean Hutter welcomed students and introduced the faculty who would give students their pins: Associate Professor of General Dentistry and Faculty Liaison to the Advanced Standing Program Dr. Janet Peters, Assistant Professor of Health Policy & Health Services Research and Assistant Dean for Admissions Ms. Catherine Sarkis, Assistant Professor of General Dentistry and Assistant Dean of Students Dr. Joseph Calabrese, Associate Professor of Restorative Sciences/Biomaterials and Associate Dean for Clinical Services Dr. Stephen DuLong, and Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Dr. Cataldo Leone. Dean Hutter spoke of the diversity and academic strength of the incoming class, as well as several initiatives at GSDM that will make new students’ dental education one of the best available in the country and the world. These initiatives include: the Applied Strategic Plan, finalizing a Facility Master Plan, and a major University fundraising campaign.

He said, “At the Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, we are committed in spirit and in action to providing an outstanding education to dental professionals throughout their careers. You are the best and brightest and I know that I speak for the entire faculty when I say thank you for choosing GSDM.”

Dean of Boston University School of Medicine and Provost of the Medical Campus Dr. Karen H. Antman spoke of how matriculation and graduation are two of the happiest days on campus. She closed with, “I’d like to also welcome you to Boston, the BU Medical Campus, and the Dental School.”

The keynote speaker was Director of the Dental Health Center and Director of Clinical Operations, Dr. Margaret Errante. She gave an inspirational speech, welcoming the new students as they embark on their journey toward becoming dentists. Dr. Errante used her career path as a way to illustrate the potential of recognizing opportunities and taking chances.

She said, “If you had asked me on my graduation day what I would be doing professionally in 20 years, I never would have dreamed of the accomplishments that I have made. Please don’t sell yourself short. I ask that you remain open minded while in school. Your goal should be to discover all that is possible and become a lifelong learner.” She continued, “I have praised you for choosing this profession and this School, but you should also feel honored that dentistry and Boston University have chosen you.”

The 197 students then walked across the stage to receive their pins. Following the ceremony, students and their families enjoyed a barbecue under the summer sun on Talbot Green.

Photos from the ceremony are on Facebook (album 1 and album 2) and flickr. Photos from the barbecue are on facebook and flickr.