Resources for Patients With Parkinson’s Disease
Resources for Patients with Parkinson’s Disease
The following are resources that may be helpful to patients with Parkinson’s Disease.
- APDA Booklets- The American Parkinson’s Disease Association provides various booklets for patients and caregivers in .pdf format.
- Bachmann-Strauss Dystonia and Parkinson Foundation- Hopes to fund research that discovers the links between Parkinson’s and dystonia in order to find a cure.
- Boston University Parkinson’s Disease & Movement Disorders Center- “Provides information on programs of clinical care, research, education, and support” at Boston University.
- Driving with Parkinson’s Disease- Answers to frequently asked questions about driving with Parkinson’s Disease from the U.S. Depratment of Transportation.
- Lotsa Helping Hands- provides a free service for family caregivers through community members who help with meals, rides, errands, childcare and other activities of daily living.
- Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research- Current news about Parkinson’s research, e-mail updates, community, and resources for caregivers and patients.
- The National Parkinson Foundation- Undertakes research to find the cause of Parkinson’s Disease, provides up to date information, resources, support, and an online community.
- Parkinson’s Action Network- The unified voice of the Parkinson’s community in America that influences public policy and legislative issues concerning people with Parkinson’s Disease.
- Parkinson Alliance- Helps raise funds to promote Parkinson’s research.
- Parkinson’s Disease Foundation- Up to date news and information for patients and caregivers. The PDF provides a free video and information packets for Parkinson’s patients here.
- Parkinson’s Disease Information at Parkinson’s Hope- Support and information for patients and caregivers including how to arrange your home to best accommodate a person with Parkinson’s Disease.
- Parkinson’s Disease Research, Education, and Clinical Center (PADRECC)- The PADRECCs offer care to all veterans currently enrolled in the VA Healthcare System. This includes veterans who have been previously diagnosed with PD or veterans who have just started to notice Parkinson-like symptoms.
- The Parkinson’s Institute- Promotes scientific research and an on-site patient clinic.
- Parkinson’s Living- Resources and community for people with Parkinson’s disease including educational and treatment tools, national event calendar, advice, regional group directory, and downloadable resources like the treatment diary (.pdf).
- Parkinson’s Resource Organization- Psycho-social organization helps families care for patients and addresses social issues like patient rights.
- StEPKit.net- The “Managing Parkinson’s Disease” kit available on this web site is a valuable resource that includes information about treatment options and lifestyle changes that can help people living with Parkinson’s disease and their caregivers to better manage this condition. Click here to order a StEP Kit.
- Tardive Dyskinesia Center- Features information and resources about tardive dyskinesia, a movement disorder that mimics Parkinson’s disease.
- Tremor Action Network- Working to spread information and create support for people with movement disorders.
- UMDMC- Parkinson’s Disease Center- University of Maryland Medical Center’s website provides resources for Parkinson’s patients including online videos about Parkinson’s Disease.
- We Move- Resource for movement disorders, and a hub for the latest web activity on movement disorders.