GH Summer Scholarship (BUSM I)
The Global Health (GH) Summer Scholarship supports medical student projects in the global health setting. The scholarship provides funding for first-year B.U. medical students to undertake research, language immersion, or community health projects during the summer between first- and second-year. The project/program must be completed in a developing country; however, students are not allowed to travel to a country where a Department of State travel warning is in effect.
General Time Requirements
- Research projects must be at least 7-weeks of full-time work (more is encouraged).
- Community health projects must be at least 6 weeks in length.
- Language immersion programs must be at least 4 weeks in length.
There is some flexibility for items #2 and #3 depending on each situation.
Guidelines for Funding
- Awards are disbursed at the end of June. Each award is up to $1500 with awards ranging from $500 (e.g., 4-week medical Spanish program) to $1500 (e.g., 7 weeks of research in African country).
- Each application is committee-reviewed and the amount awarded to each student is dependent upon the scope of the project, site location, time of project/program, and budget outlined by the applicant.
- Funding is weighted toward supporting applications for low- and middle-income countries (LMIC), longer time in country, and locations with which BUSM has a prior established relationship.
- To be eligible for the GH Summer Scholarship, students must be in good academic standing and eligible for promotion to the second year; this means no Fail or Incomplete grades, and a maximum of two Marginal Pass grades.
- There are two deadlines for the GH Summer Scholarship depending on
the type of project you are submitting:
- Deadline for funding for global health research experiences: February 18, 2020
- Deadline for funding for language immersion experiences (usually 4 weeks in length) and community-based projects that do not involve research: April 6, 2020
- Click here for the 2019 application (the 2020 application will be available by January 5, 2020)
How to Determine What GH Project is Right for You
All students who apply for GH Summer Scholarship, must complete "Part 1: The Big Picture," the first of three parts of the Practitioner’s Guide to Global Health course. This course prepares students and trainees to safely and effectively participate in global health learning experiences. In Part 1, you will learn how to determine what type of global health learning experience is right for you and how to logistically set one up. All parts are free-of-charge and generate a Credly badge upon successful completion.
Links to Begin Your Search for a Project/Program
- Finding a Project and Mentor for Research
- Medical Spanish Programs (list of approved programs)
- GH Post-Experience Summaries (see what other students have done during their summer)