GH Summer Scholarship (BUSM I)
The Global Summer Scholarship supports medical student projects in the global health setting. The scholarship provides funding for first-year B.U. medical students to undertake research, language immersion, or community health projects during the summer between first- and second-year. The project/program must be completed in a developing country; however, students are not allowed to travel to a country where a Department of State travel warning is in effect.
The general time requirements are as follows:
- Research projects must be at least 8-weeks of full-time work (more is encouraged).
- Community health projects must be at least 6 weeks in length.
- Language immersion programs must be at least 4 weeks in length.
There is some flexibility for items #2 and #3 depending on each situation.
Guidelines for funding: Awards are disbursed as the end of June. Each award is up to $1500 with awards ranging from $500 (e.g., 4-week medical Spanish program) to $1500 (e.g., 8 weeks of research in African country). Each application is committee-reviewed and the amount awarded to each student is dependent upon the scope of the project, site location, time of project/program, and budget outlined by the applicant.
To be eligible for the GH Summer Scholarship, students must:
- Be in good academic standing and eligible for promotion to the second year; this means no Fail or Incomplete grades, and a maximum of two Marginal Pass grades
- Attend the GH Mini-Course for BUSM I Students administered by the GH Program at BUSM (via the Office of Enrichment).
Deadline and Application: The deadline for the GH Summer Scholarship is April 3, 2015. Click here for 2015 application.
Links to Begin Your Search for a Project/Program:
- Finding a Project and Mentor for Research
- Medical Spanish Programs (list of approved programs)
- GH Post-Experience Summaries (see what other students have done during their summer)