This elective is part of the Louis and Charlotte Kaitz BUSM/Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School (HMS) Student Exchange Program that supports the exchange of senior medical students between BUSM and HMS for clinical electives. Each year, two to three Israeli medical students undertake clinical electives at BUMC and up to 8 B.U. medical students undertake electives at Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School. BU medical students are welcome to take one or two 4-week electives at Hadassah during the spring of their senior year. Warren Hershman, M.D., M.P.H., is the director of the student exchange program. Students who undertake the elective are required to meet with Dr. Hershman 6-8 weeks prior to the elective for a pre-departure meeting.
The Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School with affiliated hospitals, Jerusalem, Israel. This is a large-capacity teaching hospital and its peripheral units. Its departments cover virtually every modern medical discipline.
This clinical clerkship is available to all fourth-year students interested in the Israeli health system or whose professional career would be enhanced by a unique experience in Middle East medicine at a world renowned medical, educational, and research institution. Clinical placements are available in over 30 specialties/subspecialties. Fluency in Hebrew is mandatory for the following rotations: Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine (General), Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Ob/Gyn (at Mount Scopus). Students usually rotate 5 days/week, Sunday through Thursday, about 6-8 hours/day, depending on the ward. Ward discussions are in Hebrew. In Israel, the weekend is Friday and Saturday (Sunday is a workday).
COST & LIVING:
Dormitory housing and meal vouchers (one lunch voucher per day) are provided free of charge to BU medical students as part of the exchange program.
Financial assistance for transportation is provided by the Louis and Charlotte Kaitz BUSM/Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School (HMS) Student Exchange Program. To secure funding, students must submit a travel grant request to Ana Bediako by October 15.
Each BUSM student in this program is reimbursed for the following expenses upon return from his/her HMS elective(s), Students are asked to keep their receipts and the e-tickets for reimbursement.
- Round-trip airfare up to $1200
- Round-trip ground transportation (taxi or bus) to/from the airport (in Israel)
- Bus transportation to/from the Hadassah dormitories if the student is not being housed in walking distance to the HMS campus.
If you are interested in the Israel elective, follow these steps to apply and receive funding:
- E-mail Ana Bediako, Ed.M., Administrative Director, Office of Enrichment, to express your interest in the elective; this is mandatory because there are a limited amount of BU medical students who are allowed to undertake electives each year. Ana will also answer any questions students may have about the program.
- After contacting Ana Bediako, each student must apply – at least 3 months in advance of the start date of the elective – directly through the Hadassah Medical Exchange Program by completing the Exchange Students Registration Form. When completing the registration form, indicate in the ‘Other Comments and Requests’ section that you are a BU medical student and thus you are exempt from the elective fee. You may also indicate in the application that you are covered by malpractice insurance through BUSM while in Israel.
- To add the Israel elective to your schedule, complete the ADD Form for IH Elective, and e-mail it to Ana Bediako. Evaluator information for the ADD form is as follows: Inbal Sagi, Registrar, Hadassah Medical School, P.O. Box 12272, Jerusalem, ISRAEL 91010.
- To secure funding for the Israel elective, students must complete a Travel Grant Request. DEADLINE: October 15.