GSDM Alums Make Up Half of Mass Dental Society 2011 Ten Under 10

Five GSDM alums were named in the Massachusetts Dental Society’s prestigious Ten Under 10 list for 2011. The alums: Mark Doherty Jr. ENDO 05; Yael Frydman DMD 05; Jared Reid DMD 04; Anubha K. Sacheti PEDO 08; and Frank Schiano DMD 06, AEGD 07 attended a combination of both DMD and postgraduate programs at GSDM and have all gone on to achieve great success in their careers.GSDM ten-2001

Since 2005, the Journal of the Massachusetts Dental Society has annually selected 10 MDS member dentists for this list who have been in the profession for 10 years or less and have made a significant contribution to the profession, their community, or organized dentistry. GSDM is extremely proud this year to call five of these 10 their own.

Each of the dentists were interviewed by the Journal about their careers and what they like best about dentistry.

Dr. Doherty said, “I love interacting with patients, diagnosing disease, and eradicating oral infection and pain.”

For orthodontist Dr. Frydman, “The most fulfilling moments are when the braces come off and patients see their beautiful white, wireless smile for the first time.”

Dr. Reid said, “…I wake up every morning thrilled to get to practice dentistry.” He also shared his experience working in private practice with his father and fellow alum James Reid ENDO 80, 82 adding, “It’s been hugely helpful to work alongside a resource like my dad—he is a constant source of wise advice. Having a trusted, caring partner with 40 years of experience is invaluable to me as a young dentist.”

Dr. Sacheti also mentioned her family. She said, “I think being a parent makes me a better pediatric dentist. I have a greater understanding of the challenges that my patients’ parents face. I have learned many tricks to convince my 2 ½-year-old daughter to brush her teeth.”

Dr. Schiano talked about what it’s like to work in a community health center setting. He said, “As a community health center dentist, I get to travel the world without leaving my office. I have met people from almost every ethnic, cultural, and religious background you can imagine.”

“Congratulations to the five distinguished GSDM alums who were selected for this honor,” said Dean Jeffrey W. Hutter. “They are all very deserving of this recognition and should be proud of what they have accomplished in just the beginning of their very promising careers.”

Read the full article here.