Medical Student Summer Research Program (BUSM I)
Medical Student Summer Research Program (MSSRP) offers up to 30 competitive $2,400 or $2,750 scholarships to first-year Boston University medical students to complete a 7- or 8-week research project with a BUMC faculty member during the summer. Research projects MUST BE conducted with a BUMC faculty member. This scholarship does not support projects outside of BUMC.
In order to receive an scholarship, you must be in good academic standing and eligible for promotion to the second year; this means no Fail or Incomplete grades, and a maximum of two Marginal Pass grades. Questions regarding the program may be directed to Ana Bediako, The Office of Enrichment, firstname.lastname@example.org. See Detailed Description and Goals of MSSRP.
Summer 2016 Application
Class-of-2019 students have the following time off for summer, 2016: May 18 – July 17, 2016. Class-of-2019 classes begin July 18, 2016. With the summer shortened from previous years, students participating in the MSSRP for summer, 2016 have the option of undertaking full-time research for 7 or 8 weeks. This will allow students to take a vacation if desired. Students undertaking 7 weeks of research will be given $2,400 while those undertaking 8 weeks of research will be given $2750.
Summer 2016 Deadlines:
- Mentor Agreement to Provide Mentorship: DUE March 7, 2016.
- Application: DUE March 21, 2016.
Resources for Medical Students to Find and Develop a Research Project
Begin here: Research Networking: Best Practices for Finding a Research Focus & Mentor to understand the process of finding a project and mentor.
- Resources to Find Research Projects/Mentors at BUMC:
- BU Profiles (Clinical and Translational Science Institute (BU CTSI)). Locate researchers by subject matter keyword, last name, institution, department, etc.
- Healthcare Opportunities for Medical Students (maintained by the Office of Enrichment). View ‘Research Opportunities at BUMC’
- BUMC Clinical Researcher Search (Office of Clinical Research). You may search by B.U. faculty name or research keyword.
- B.U. Clinical and Translational Science Institute (BU CTSI)
- Research Resources at BUMC Research website
- BUMC Research Expertise Search Portal
- List of BUSM departments conducting research
- B.U. Research (shows
depth and breadth of research across entire university)
- Research Areas | Centers & Institutes | Labs & Facilities (B.U.-wide resource)
- Successful Proposals:
- Poster Presentations by Students: